• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DictatorShadow 6 days ago

Hey PCP friends (wait, that's a drug...)

Hello everyone! I'm interested in building my first gaming PC and finally "ascend". I think I have a pretty decent understanding of how to do it. Someone who's never built a PC's guide to building a Pc sorta-ish 1- take out motherboard+CPU+RAM, install CPU and RAM into correct slots. 2- Screw in motherboard into case (case laying down) and maybe install the power supply. 3- Put in CPU cooler 4- Install graphics card 5- Install SSD's/Hard drives 6- Cable everything correctly 7- Boot it up and stuff?

I think I can install the hardware but the software has me concerned (hopefully I got the above steps correct please tell me if I did a goof) Here's things I need to know and it would be gr8 if you could answer them. 1: Where do I build it? How does static affect it with carpet or whatever. 2: How do I install drivers? 3: How do I install Windows 10? 4: How do I make sure my PC has wifi?

If anyone could answer and/or link me to some PC building tutorials I would be so appreciative.

Thank you!!

Comments Sorted by:

Bran_Flakes 1 Build 2 points 5 days ago

Just build it on a table somewhere. As long as you're not moon-walking in socks while building you should be fine. If you're worried, just touch something metal to ground yourself every now and then. Building on the floor would also be okay.

To install Windows 10, have your USB plugged in when you turn it on. If you go into the BIOS, exit, then when it boots it should start the installation process. Just follow what it says to do and save Windows where you want to save it (SSD).

Drivers come next, and you'll have to put the ones on for your motherboard first (should come with a disc), or you can get them straight from the manufacturer's website to avoid all the bloatware that's typically on these (If this route, you'll need to put them on a USB from another computer as you won't be able to access the internet yet). You'll also more than likely need to update the drivers for the GPU as well (either via disc or manufacturer's website).

Just check whatever motherboard you decide to get for the specs on whether it has WiFi built in or not. If not, you'll need a Wireless Network Adapter in order to use WiFi, which run about 30 bucks for a decent one.

ThatGoat 1 point 5 days ago

just touch something metal to ground yourself every now and then

This.

100%

manirelli staff 7 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

you want to do as much as possible before putting the motherboard in the case. ram, cooler, cpu, m.2 drive. doing it after installation in the case is a huge pain.

DictatorShadow submitter 1 point 6 days ago

Ok thank you so much but uh what's an m.2 drive?

manirelli staff 7 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

a type of storage. not all people purchase one.

ThatGoat 1 point 6 days ago

An M.2 drive is a "form factor" or a certain "size" of SSD. You know 2.5" SSDs? It's like one of those shrunk down.

That's literally it.

If you want more about NVME/PCIe then that's a whole 'nother level...

FlyinToasteronie 1 point 5 days ago

I thought m.2 were PCI SSD's? (I may just not be the smartest person on this site, if I'm wrong..)

ThatGoat 1 point 5 days ago

Not entirely.

There are SATA ones ("AHCI" I think)

And then there are the PCIe ones... (NVME for sure.)

DictatorShadow submitter 1 point 6 days ago

Here's the part list I am looking at (1080p killer with room for 1440p in the future)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bh3Yqk

ThatGoat 1 point 6 days ago

More like "1440p killer..."

• You can get higher frequency RAM to slightly improve performance, though it isn't a huge jump
  • If you want the build to be for 1080p with 1440p room, then do a GTX 1070... That 1080 is a bit overkill, but would also be great if you can fit it in budget.
Datamatr1x 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

My build slays at 1440p and has a cheaper CPU with the same GPU. I am getting Battlefield 1 @ 105FPS

Just a warning: I don't think your MoBo has built-in WiFi, and thus you will need to buy a USB or PCI adapter for it.

1. Build on a table, or any stable surface that is not metallic, or has fabric.

2. Drivers install automatically in most cases. If not, you will recieve a USB/DVD with the drivers.

3. Put in the USB/DVD, turn on your PC, tell it to run from DVD if it doesn't (I'll elaborate more if needed), and then follow the on-screen instructions.

4. You need a WiFi adapter. There are some motherboards that include WiFi, but they are (mostly) ITX motherboards, such as This one