Description

For my A-Level final Design & Technology coursework I was approached by a 'client' (myself) to create a compact bespoke case, designed to allow water-cooling and space efficiency to work together in harmony.

After multiple concept designs, 3D CAD models, prototypes and 'client feedback Q&As', I created "One", a bespoke acrylic case for a mATX motherboard with two 240mm radiators. The parts with the case were already owned by the client (me) so the case was built around my specification. By using 3D CAD Software as a visual prototype for the case design, the hard-line tubing could also be more easily visualised.

The PC was originally built with air cooling in the NZXT H440 back in late 2015. I then upgraded to try out hard-line watercooling! This was done in the Thermaltake Core P5, which looked great - I even wall mounted it! 1 year later and I realised it was not practical to have the massive case for when I move to university. This idea came at the same time as when I needed to create a project for a 'client' in my A-Level final coursework. You will see from the initial sketches I switched at some point from the diamond-edge style panels to the single acrylic outer panel. This was an aesthetics change as well as a change to make the manufacturing the case a bit more simplistic.

Processes on case: - Prototyping (Card size checks & Solidworks CAD) - Laser Cutting - Heat Bending - Band Sawing - Mechanical Hacksawing - Pillar Drilling - Centre Lathing - 3D Printing - Polishing - Sanding This was all possible thanks to my school being fortunate enough to own all the equipment that I was given unlimited access to.

--Total price for case: £35 (incl. all screws & materials etc)--

The build has had some 'bumps' - when cleaning out the perspex GPU waterblock cover I screwed it back on too tight (argh) and it subsequently leaked. EK were great and sent a replacement black cover as that is all that is left in stock for the rx 480. I then rounded off one of the screws holding the broken cover on the block, so had to drill it out and fit a new screw!

Eventually I ended up with a completed build. The case is fully custom and in hindsight I should've considered adding dust filters.

I will add more pics of the complete setup once I have finished my exams this month and tidied it up!

Comments

  • 16 months ago
  • 5 points

this is incredible. my only suggestion would be to cut the picture gallery down to the 20 or so best pictures because 90 is hard to get through, beautiful as they are.

but regardless, awesome execution from start to finish. +1

  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks :) It’s hard to cut it down to so few, I put the best pics at the front to try to solve that haha

  • 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Next feature I'm sure. Beautiful custom work man. +1

  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! It was worth it :D

  • 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Wow! The patience you must have to build this... Planning and all.... Wow! And it's absolutely gorgeous! And I looked at all 90 pictures. A feature for sure

  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry there are so many

  • 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Usually I get pissed off with close to 100 pictures but for this build it needs it... Amazing build!

  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for putting you through it :D

  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Uh ... Yeah +1

  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Impressive!!!! Especially Love the design of the case. Good work

  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers :)

  • 14 months ago
  • 2 points

This deserves to be featured!!! +1

  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you do with all these PC'S

  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Most are client builds, my personal one is currently in pieces being sold bit by bit to fund uni ;_;

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Cheers :)