+ Total (United States):
(Please pardon my English, I speak natively omelette du fromage)
Once upon a time, there was a small boy whose purpose was to make a sick workstation. This little boy came from a tiny country called Switzerland. Everybody knew this country for its banks, chocolate, Roger Federer, and the watches.
"Bref" (very french word), I used to own a second-hand Dell Precision T7600 (2x E5-2687w, 128go ram, Asus GTX1060 Turbo and others nice stuff). However, this computer was so noisy when under load that I decided to sell it.
Some days later, I've established a list of criteria for a new computer:
- small but powerful (like my country)
- easily carriable
- minimalist case, without windows, leds and others ****** gadgets (pardon my french ;)
What is this computer for ?
- mostly photography
- some videogames (CSS, BF1)
- video editing (FHD for the moment)
- in the future, this workstation will be also used as a Video Mixer. In this case, it's really important to have enough headroom in order to don't have any lags in live.
La configuration finale:
- Dual E5-2620 V3
- 8x8 GO of DDR4 2133mhz REG ECC: too much was better than too little.
- Asus Z10PA-D8: simply because it's an ATX motherboard
- Noctua N9H-DL: I originally bought them for my Dell T7600 (but Dell use a proprietary system, shame on them)
- Gigabyte GTX1060 Gaming G1: the semi-passive design melted my heart .
- Seasonic X850: because it's a ******* Seasonic powersupply.
- Lian-LI TU300
- LSI 9271-4i with BBU: I bought this card for “une bouchée de pain” (French idiom which means really cheap).
- Noctua’s Fans: it was one of my geek fantasm
- SSD Samsung 850 PRO 512go: OS
- RAID 0 (2x) Crucial MX300 525go: caching, ISO recording
- RAID 1 (2x) Seagate Ironwolf 10TB: storage
- I'm really impressed by how much silent this little computer is, even under load.
- The Lian-Li case is a lie: I had to change every motherboard standoff screws.
- The pair of E5-2620 V3 are virtually less powerful than the pair of E5-2687W. Having said that, I've the sensation that the computer is quicker than before.
- The Raid card need a good cooling, otherwise it will overheating.
- In general, this workstation is really powerful, and was exactly what I was looking for.