add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah yup yup, very solid point :)

Also just having a smoother experience all round due to the higher refresh rate will be awesome. I have never seen a screen in person with a refresh rate over 60Hz (Tv screens don't count) so im really looking forward to it

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd actually say the opposite.

I would say a 1440 60hz monitor will be better than a 1080 144hz monitor. I'm saying this because the increased resolution at a monitor size of 25" and above is really needed to have a good pixel density. I've found games look significantly better at 1440 than 1080.

But it depends on the games you play. - If you play competitive but graphically simple games (i.e. CS or LoL), then you might like 144hz and your 390 will push 144fps (even at 1440). - If you play graphically intense games like BF4, then those extra Hz will be wasted as you won't have the power to push much more than 60FPS (even at 1080).

As Vekspec said initially, it requires a lot of power to get a game to run above 60FPS. Therefore, as you have a 390 like I do, most modern games will be running at around the 60fps mark @ 1080. (Witcher 3 runs at 53fps and BF4 runs at 74fps).

If I didn't get such a good deal on my monitor, i'd get a 27" BenQ 1440 60z IPS panel for around £275

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GW2765HT-LED-inch-Monitor/dp/B00M913DVG

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

but you wouldn't get the same frame rates at 1440p, so what was once 53fps on Witcher 3 may drop down to the mid to high 40's etc, but I guess a 1440p panel will be a little more "future proof" in the sense that eventually you will upgrade your GPU and all the new games will run at 60fps.

But then again before you upgrade your GPU new games may push your GPU too hard to sit at a decent frame rate at 1440p which is where the 1080p panel will be better...

Gosh this is a hard decision, so many factors at play :(

Especially when I play both games that would benefit from the increased resolution and the increased refresh rate and I don't have the cash for a 1440p 144Hz monitor (sadly). Ugh life is tough haha

EDIT: but as far as impressiveness is concerned I think having a smoother looking screen will be a bit better than having a screen with more pixels, but then again I haven't tested out both so I cant say for sure.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed - it's the hardest decision - way more than any other piece of the build.

It was so hard for me I ended up ordering an Acer pred 1440 144hz freesync TN panel and another BenQ 1440 60hz IPS panel.

For me the IPS was actually more noticeable - and for my gf (who is not into games, she preferred the IPS).

HOWEVER, I did actually end up keeping the 144hz panel as I sold the BenQ on eBay and made a tidy profit as I got it cheap on a lightning deal on Amazon. :)

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

MMmmmmmm profits :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube