• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Comments (Continued)

SpacemanSpliff 1 Build 0 points 17 months ago

To be perfectly honest, I don't advise overclocking with a build under the $1,000-$1,200 range. Budget range mobos aren't usually designed with quality MOSFETs and capacitors to support overclocking. There may be some out that perform admirably enough to do Overclocking with, but I would fully research the components used for the power regulation and delivery on a budget board before overclocking.

rhali8 2 Builds 2 points 17 months ago

That's not true at all. Even the low end B350 motherboards have decent enough quality VRMs to handle modest overclocks, and an aftermarket cooler isn't needed. A 4GHz overclock on an R5 1600 was done on a stock cooler awhile ago. In my opinion spending $20ish more for a B350 motherboard is worth it if you tighten up the single core performance gap between the i5 line for better frames.

I said I don't personally recommend it. Meaning this is my opinion, and thus it is readily understandable the implication is that it's my two cents. The fact of the matter is that budget boards are cheaply built, and produced in larger quantities, and to a lower QA standard. Budget ranged boards simply aren't designed with the intent to overclock. They're designed for the casual desktop user, that wants to be able to build a cheap system to the specs they choose. You know how many generic, prebuilt desktops from companies like Dell or Sony, or HP use budget boards? All of them, cause the majority of pc users only browse, email, watch youtube, maybe stream netflix, and maybe do some light gaming. Nothing overly taxing. If one is keen to overclock, it's advisable to at least use a quality, mid-ranged board ($140-190) as that is the range where boards begin to be purpose built with enthusiasts in mind. Anyone that is willing to take the risk with a budget board, needs to be fully prepared that choice makes one more vulnerable to drawing the short straw, getting subpar piece of hardware, and being more at risk of frying things.

Second, Using the term "modest" is about as subjective as it gets with overclocking. What one calls modest, may be very high, or miniscule, to others. Third, one should use an aftermarket cooler if they intend on running an overclock 24/7. Stock coolers are designed to handle full loads at factory boost clocks handily enough, but running at higher voltages and heat levels 24/7 is a much greater strain on a CPU, and shortens it's lifespan. Even a basic $15-30 air tower is a far better protection for the long term survival of a CPU. Also, no one should ever take the very rare, alleged example of a 25% overclock on a stock cooler as concrete evidence that every chip can do it. That's one claim I'd like a link to the article as I'd be interested to read it myself.

rhali8 2 Builds 2 points 17 months ago

Lower budget boards don't always budget on VRM quality. Most Gigabyte boards actually use similar VRM design and have similar build quality. AMD has said that you can overclock on B350 boards and the manufacturers have built boards that can handle overclocks. Examples:

All these builds are using the second cheapest B350 board available. Overclocks range from 3.7to 3.9GHz, and one of the builds is using a Ryzen 7 CPU. None of them are reporting issues, all these overclocks are perfectly stable. Oh, and the first system has a 3.7GHz overclock on a stock cooler. Yes, stock coolers are designed to be stable at stock speeds but it doesn't mean they are at their limit. Ryzen's coolers have been credited to perform well by multiple reviewers. And, here is the link to the article you wanted. Yes, it is leaked but forum posts I've put below it confirm it.

There are also plenty of PCPP builds that use the stock cooler and achieve great overclocks. I understand that your views are your opinion, but when you say something that can be factually proven wrong is your opinion, it isn't opinion. That's known as bias. I can have an opinion on food I like and dislike, but I can't have an opinion on the quality of certain motherboard's VRMs. Some are better and some aren't.

Well.. in this case, my opinion and bias is well founded in more than 15 years of experience system building and the headache of RMA supporting I give for the more than 5,000 builds I've done for local small businesses, coworkers, friends, and family over the past 15 years. I've had a disproportionate number of problems with budget boards in the past having poor VRM design and heat management, even without overclocks. I'm sure I'm not the only one around that remembers the disaster that Gigabyte 990FX-UD3s and MSI 990FX-GD65s were. Over the 6 months after that launch I got to know damn near every Gigabyte RMA rep on a first name basis. It wasn't just the 990FX boards either, I have had a disproportionate number of RMAs on budget boards for all sockets and chipsets, and all manufacturers. Honestly, ASRock has given me the least problems and always been the easiest support service to work worth. If they've finally started to make them better that's fine and dandy. Still doesn't mean you're not at a higher risk of catching a bad board when you go the budget route.

As far as the cooler and overclock to 4GHz... Kyle says in his review of the cooler and the Ryzen 5 that hit 4 GHz on a Noctua, the alluded to sample in that article is pre-launch, and posted by a Chinese reviewer, on a forum, so I have my doubts that it's an ordinary, non binned chip if he only needed 1.342V to hit 4GHz and did it stock cooler. I have still yet to see many post launch that can do above 4 on air, period. In other words those chips beyond the skepticism of being manufacturer binned samples.

As the article said, take that Chinese forum post and claim it was on stock air with a hefty pinch of salt. He either was sent a binned chip in advance of launch or hit the silicon black market lottery with one of the most golden chips to date. As Kyle pointed out in his review, in the right conditions a good chip should handle 3.7 to 3.8 without having to eat a lot of voltage, or churning up heat. Do I still recommend erring on the side of caution after seeing those articles and reviews? Yes. My livelihood is earned by giving people a solution that fits their budget and needs, and then providing them the reliability of service and support should they need it. I've taken several hard hits on a few absolute lemons of mainboard models over the years, cause I have always given customers the choice to replace boards from my inventory if I have them in stock, rather than waiting on the manufacturer. So forgive me for being reticent to accept that after all these years manufacturers are claiming they're finally making budget boards right... I'll not hold my breath when my wallet and bottom line have a stake.