• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Comments (Continued)

Edens_Remorse -5 points 47 months ago

Interesting comment given Intel's competing chips are locked. G3258 isn't in the same league, btw. Two threads are nigh on useless now as we've seen.

Eschaton 6 Builds 4 points 47 months ago

You seriously need to calm down the AMD fanboyism. I LOVE AMD processors; I recommend them in almost all my builds. I love this new chip, too - it seems like it will have excellent GPU performance and really quite decent CPU performance.

But that doesn't change the fact that compared to the Piledriver series, this chip overclocks like a dog, and that with the factory OC already in place, there's little reason to OC it more, making the "K" designation something of a misnomer.

It's kind of ridiculous to find myself in the position of having to defend the G3258 when I've been so adamant about attacking it in the past, but if you think that chip is "nigh one useless" at present, you are sorely mistaken. It is a real competitor in many modern games.

LeMMingSlayeR 24 Builds 1 point 47 months ago

More and more Current-gen games are requiring a minimum of 4 cores, especially the AAA titles. FarCry 4, COD Advanced Warfare, even Assassin's Creed: Black Flag will not run on less than 4 cores. The G3258 is a Phenomenal value for it's price, but even so is best suited for an HTPC or "Casual Gaming" machine. So Edens_Remorse made a valid point.

But I also agree wirh Eschaton, in that the 7870k will likely not be able to clock more than 500mhz over it's stock speed. I have an FX8350 (which is rock solid stable at 4.7ghz on air and could go higher on water I'm sure), and an A10-6800k which I wasn't able to get past 4.5ghz. The A10 is a great APU, and I am even able to game lightly on it. Maybe I just got a non-overclocking friendly chip, as was the case with my old Phenom II 970 BE which I could never get past 3.9ghz no matter what I did.

Eschaton 6 Builds 1 point 47 months ago

It's true that the G3258 is basically the last hurrah of an outmoded chip design, but Edens_Remorse WAY overstates the situation by stating that it is "nigh on useless."

LeMMingSlayeR 24 Builds 2 points 47 months ago

I think his mode of thinking was what applies to a pure (maybe even enthusiast) gaming machine... Even my youngest stepson, when I built him a computer earlier this year, has a q6600 that I bought on ebay for $26, just because I knew it would have more threads for all his games. But I completely agree that the G3258 still has a valid place in the PC world, and due to it's price point and performance, I forsee at least 5 more years of G3258-powered HTPCs in peoples' living rooms.

Eschaton 6 Builds 2 points 47 months ago

those old q6600s are BEASTS, lol. I know a guy who's still running one and doing fairly well at modern games with it, esp. if they are threaded. If you can do the bsel mod, you can get them running at 3ghz with very little danger, which is quite nice.

Edens_Remorse -3 points 47 months ago

Quote me correctly please - I said "two threads are nigh on useless as we've seen." That is 100% true. I'm perfectly calm btw. ;)

Eschaton 6 Builds 2 points 47 months ago

I did quote you correctly, and you are incorrect in your belief if "useless" means anything like what normal people think it means.

You were wrong, deal with it.