add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

You'll Take Windows 10 Whether You Like It or Not

ewhac
  • 55 months ago

Microsoft has confirmed that it's pushing out Windows 10 upgrade images to Win7 and Win8 users via Windows Update, even if those users haven't requested them.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

The upgrade image is several gigabytes in size, easily blowing through bandwidth caps imposed by lower-tier ISPs, and some users are getting hit with surprise overage charges on their ISP bill owing to the unrequested download. It is unclear, once the upgrade image is in place, whether Windows Update will attempt to automatically upgrade you to Win10.

Individuals who closely manage their computers may want to keep an eye out for this.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I could sort of understand if it was say the last week of being able to upgrade and this was MS's way of saying "as long as you have this file, you can upgrade whenever" (which would be a nice idea), but this is just a bad move. Even better would be if the file was in parts, so you could only download say 250MB at a time.

I could definitely see a class-action suite against MS for forcing people to over over their data caps.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I was about to post the same thing.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I could definitely see a class-action suite against MS for forcing people to over over their data caps.

Unfortunately that would not go anywhere because people have the option to turn off automatic updates and I'm sure it states in Windows user agreement that Microsoft is not responsible for any data overages for having automatic updates turned on.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sure it states in Windows user agreement that Microsoft is not responsible for any data overages for having automatic updates turned on.

Well, first question would be "when did they put that in there?". If it was just last week...

There's also just a plain "I don't care what the EULA says" sort of lawsuit, such as when a company tries to force arbitration because it's in their EULA or their EULA has something that is just not going to be allowed, such as demanding 2000$ if you write a negative review (has actually happened, though the value is off). So there is a chance it could get thrown out. The whole "well, they could turn auto updates off" doesn't really help if you don't know how to do that, which could also help to toss that argument out considering the knowledge of the average user...

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The argument that people did not know how to use a product is never been a good leg to stand on. There are some things that companies put into EULAs that don't stand up to legal scrutiny. Thing is not being responsible for charges incurred by the use of their produce is pretty standard.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I believe there have been successful suits against robocallers and spam texters who cause overage fees, so there may be some prior ground to base this on.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Robocallers and Spam texters normally don't have EULAs.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 2 points

If Microsoft's legal team did not think of that they need a new one.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

No it won't. What is the alternative for operating systems? There really is not one. Unfortunately until there is a decent alternative Microsoft will continue to operate as it has for many years now.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft is like a awkward giant. It's has it's heart in the right place, but can't get out of it's own way. They are try very hard to get everyone on Windows 10 so they only have one operating system to support, which may very well be the last truly new OS we see from them for a long time. It seems very much like they are just going to be releasing updates for Windows 10 for the long hall. That's not a bad thing because it can continue to evolve and you get stability and unity for software makers.

The flip side to that is they still need to make money. They screwed up Nokia and Windows phone, so having information to sell and selling targeted advertisements is a revenue stream. One that people except for the most part on the internet as a way to keep websites free. Again, they are just doing it in a completely ham fisted way.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Now I'm worried I'll be locked out of my lappy because I don't know where the Win10 boot files are. (This is assuming that the MBR won't overridden.) But if the MBR is overridden, I'm clear. >_<

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 2 points

my updates are also on manual, but a couple times now recently my system has wanted to "finish updating" if you shut it down... checking the logs show updates occur when i clearly never oked them (especially those definition updates that seem to do more than just update definitions now). Thats Win 7 64bit Ultimate doing it btw, so check your logs!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

the spying is a sham, it doesnt exist people just trying to hate on microsoft, im basicalyl done with windows though for other reasons mainly the fact that every game port is broken. Been using Linux mostly for everything non gaming. and my gaming pc is on windows 8.1.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube