add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Didn't want to upgrade but it was fun!

Trinergy

76 months ago

Hey everyone,

I just noticed there was a forum here. I just started rebuilding a quick throw together PC from parts I had from an old HTPC that I retired. I really just wanted to get a cooler for an old Phenom II X2 555 BE in an old Thermaltake V3 case and I overbought. When you buy higher end stuff and try to mate it with lower end stuff it leads to the longest build ever. It all started with the purchase of a CM Seidon 120XL for the Newegg special $39.99 (plus a $15 Google Mobile checkout discount that takes it to $25 AR). Of course it comes and doesn't fit in the case. So I need a new case. Amazon had the FD Arc Midi R2 on sale for about $70 with tax and I used my Discovercard rewards that took another $20 off (otherwise newegg had it for $5 cheaper). I love this case. Clean, fan controller, cable management, and can accomodate all kinds of cooler configs. So as I looked at the computer through the window, it just didn't look right. Huge *** AIO water cooler and no graphics card. So I decided it needed a graphics card and low and behold a 7950 can be had for $180 AR. Had to have it. But then I needed a PSU. Crap, but newegg comes to the rescue and gives me a Semi Modular, 2 rail, 80 Bronze, RaidMax for $24.99. It's a RaidMax but it will hold me up till I can build a NEW SilverLake PC next year. Any ways I just wanted to share my story with someone. I am still making some changes to the drives. Might take out the 1TB drive and stick it in my server and recycle an old IDE 750GB drive as my data drive. Not sure yet.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Trinergy/saved/1Vq7

Update One: I love this hobby. So I finally put it all together. When being cheap you make certain tradeoffs that were good at the time. But when you do this it can come back to haunt you later. So the MATX board is really bad for adding a super long card on as the SATA ports are moved up underneath said card. Of course MATX motherboards of this era (circa 2009) did not have side mounted SATA ports. I had some right angle SATA cables that fit under the card and tucked a third SATA cable inside a pocket on the 7950 cooling assembly. To operate the DVD burner I plugged it into an old PCI VIA SATA expansion card. Which naturally now blocks one of the 7950 fans partially.

With all of that said and done. I successfully unlocked and overclocked the card to 4Ghz at 1.6v volts. Temps stayed below 55 degrees on the CPU and the cores I estimate was 10 degrees lower during OCCT 1 hour test. So although the voltage is high the 120XL, that started this mess, really did an excellent job of keeping the 555 cool. I next overclocked the IMC 20 2600Mhz but I had to push core coltage up some more to pass the 1 hour test. CPU temp was nearing 60 degrees now and based on previous estimates core temp should have been around 50 degrees. I think this is as far I am going to take this combo of MB, PROC, cooler. Normal Denebs usually do 4Ghz at 1.4x volts. My Callisto is requiring quite a bit more power to do the same.

I would love to get my hands on a 970 based motherboard with more phases and mosfet cooling, but I am cheap so something is going to have to die first. Will probably invest $10 on some mosfet heatsinks.

There was a beta bios for the board that Gigabyte released that updated the AMD AHCI Sata controller. Along with adding the drivers I finally saturated SATA II speeds with the SSD. WEI went from 6.0 to 6.9 and AS SSD Benchmarks topped out at SATA II max.

Started OC'ing the video card and got it to run the Heaven Benchmark at 1100 Ghz. I will probably keep pushing it some more after I torture test the CPU/IMC for 24 hours on OCCT.

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Enjoyed the story lol. However, how do you have 4x RAM sticks on a mobo with only 2x slots?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard listed is the closet approximation to what I have. In the notes I have the actual model listed. Which is a 4 slotter. Going to see if I can get the memory to run at 800Mhz. Doesn't have any heatsinks but I do have a 140mm fan pulling air across them (got them from a retired workstation at work, bummed to find it was 667Mhz). So if they can handle the voltage it might work.

GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 1.1) http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3266#ov

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Well my add-on VIA SATA I Card started fritzing out probably due to the 7950 blowing hot air on it. So that means something died! So I picked up a Saberkitty on ebay for $125 and then tigerdirect had a sale on the FX-8350 for $175 shipped so I jumped on it. Now I have a completely new system. Also picked up some open box Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB memory for $66 but used my credit card's rewards to fully pay for it on Amazon.

Old mb and Callisto will go into server. Old server mb and Sempron will go into HTPC and be sold for $120 to help recoup costs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube