add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

120hz with my current system?

mack_au

76 months ago

Right now my system is thus: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Fm7

The important bits:

Intel Core i7-950 3.06Ghz CPU and a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 3GB Video Card.

I currently use a Dell U3011 30 inch monitor.

I'm thinking of getting this for gaming: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe Asus VG248QE 144hz (although I'd be using it with Lightboost 2 at 120hz).

The 580 has 2 Dual DVI ports.

My questions:

1) Is running both monitors at the same time viable? Is this a setup that could stop working properly, or will cause issues if I game at 120hz on the Asus while having desktop open on the Dell?

2) Do people think my 580 can power that 120hz lightboost on Battlefield 3 (and obviously, BF4)? I'm not hugely into graphical detail, I really only want graphics details that help me pick out targets, like draw distance, anti-aliasing and shadows and high textures isn't that big a deal for me.

If my 580 can't run it I might get a 770 instead, and my question for a 770 is:

Could my 850watt PSU (note all the extra crap my system has, like the 5 hard drives) eventually run SLI 770's? Would getting SLI 770's make up for the lesser CPU power of the 950? I suppose I could always OC the 950 but I couldn't with BF3 because it would always crash.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

i don't know if the 580 would be able to handle the 144 hz on multiple monitors. you would probably have to turn setting down

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube