add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

YEYYEYEYEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Happyville101

47 months ago

I'm a very strong supporter of AMD, although I respect the fact that Nvidia currently has superior technology...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/amds-new-graphics-architecture-is-called-polaris/

POLARIS!!!

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Why Mid 2016, out of all times that I am going to buy a new recent gpu, it has be mid instead of early.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

:D lol.... we're all still comfused on when EXACLTY Zen is going to come out :P...

Q4... nope. Q2.... nope Q1... nope Q4

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

:D

BTW for my build i went with skylake because i was imatient... and i knew it woud take a few years for the probrobility for the tght compition that we used to have

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Zen has the greatest potential to alleviate the current financial situation.... but what happens after that?

• 47 months ago
  • 0 points

Nvidia currently has superior technology...

The 380 beats the 960. The 390 beats the 970 at 1440p or higher. The Fury X is faster in 1440p and 4K than the 980ti.
The 950 beats the 370 and that's it. The 970 beats the 390 only in 1080p. The 360 can't compete with anything...

But in the CPU division...

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Statistics come to the rescue!

• 47 months ago
  • 0 points

Uh...

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Should remember that "beats" is a very subjective term. The Nvidia cards use substantially less power than the AMD cards.

My uncle is a senior software engineer for Amazon Web Services. Every PC in his department (thousands) uses an Nvidia GPU because they use less power. The small power savings spread over that many PCs amounts to HUGE energy savings. MANY large companies are like this.

Until AMD an directly compete with Nvidia on a power/performance basis, they will not be equals in my book.

All the 960 loses to 380 BS is based SOLELY on price. If you look at power (important to EVERYONE except hard core gamers), nvidia stomps AMD. Remember that gamers like us make up less than 10% of the total GPU sales in the world. The majority of GPUs are bought by corporations, where energy savings are WAY more important. This is why Nvidia outsells AMD.

When comparing power/performance you have to compare the gtx960 to the r7 370. In this case, the 960 wins by a large margin in performance.

Lets look at the 970. Everyone loves to say that you are an idiot if you buy a 970 and not a 390 instead. BUT the 970 only uses as much power as the 380x and if we compare the performance of those cards, it is not even a competition.

People need to look at more than just price/performance, because in the real world market, that matter little, and other parameters matter more.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

You're right about Nvidia beating AMD when it comes to power efficiency/usage.I was only counting Price/performance because the majority seem to care about that only. I should have just stated that I meant price/performance. :P

if you look at power (important to EVERYONE except hard core gamers)

This isn't true at all. Lots of people (even people on these forums) don't really care how much power their parts use. Not just hardcore gamers.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

You need to understand that the whole PC building/gaming community makes up a TINY percent of the GPU sales. The VAST majority of GPU purchases are done by cooperation where power consumption matters alot.

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Nvidia makes CPUs! Cool! Where do I buy one!

*Goes to store and buys an Nvidia n7-7777K processor*

I know what you mean, just messing with ya :P

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the Nexus 9 has an APU by them. There are probably more.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube