add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Happy Birthday Exiguous

ewhac
  • 48 months ago

I was just idly poking around through some old stuff (ego surfing, mostly), when I realized that I built exiguous one year ago today!

The system is still running just fine; no hiccups whatsoever. Very very rarely, when I reboot between Windows and Linux, the BIOS will report that the overclocking setup has failed, but a single retry through CTRL-ALT-DELETE and it's working fine again.

I've so far managed to keep Microsoft from infecting the system with Windows 10 (keeping KB3035583 off the system seems to get most of the job done). On the Linux side, where I spend most of my time, the NVIDIA drivers in the Debian repositories have finally caught up with the GTX-970, so there's no longer a need for custom building driver packages from source. The new 4.4.x kernel, however, hangs at boot, so I'm still on 4.3.x; need to do some proper diagnostics here (I hope I don't need to update the BIOS; last time I tried that, I had to completely re-setup the bootloader).

Since then, I acquired a couple of new goodies on impulse:

• Corsair K95 RGB keyboard (Cherry brown): Prettyyyyyyyy!! And yes, there is a fairly competent Linux driver for it. But even without that, the keyboard has a very pleasing, solid feel to it.
  • Corsair SABRE RGB optical mouse: My (very) old Razer Copperhead was starting to wig out. I originally selected a Razer Deathadder Chroma to replace it, but reversed that decision when I discovered Razer's drivers refused to let me configure the mouse without first logging in to the driver with a valid email address. So I sent it back and got this little guy ($45.00 at BestBuy at the time), and I've had no regrets.

Weirdly, I went through a rather lengthy dry spell on gaming. It's only in the last couple of weeks that I started spending serious time with a new early access game called The Solus Project, a so-called "walking simulator" survival game that gives you amazingly pretty alien landscapes, then makes you creep around in torch-lit caves most of the time.

So, yeah! Nice box is still nice. My thanks to PCPP and the community for helping me put it together.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Made me smile :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube