add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

System freezing and gpu driver crashes

shottycall
  • 51 months ago

The past couple months I've had occasional system freezing (no blue screen) and nvidia "driver stopped working but was able to recover" or something like that. Always while gaming. I have an I5 4690k at a mild 4.2ghz OC, Corsair 2x8GB RAM, evga gtx 780 6gb, evga 750w psu, and a Z97X-UDH3-BK mobo. I'm fairly sure it's not ssd/hdd related because I get game crashes with games installed on different drives. The cpu is the only thing overclocked and the bclock is default 100mhz. I feel like it's my GPU cause of the driver crashes and it's gotten often enough to frustrate me. I'm going to swap in my wife's gtx 970 in the morning and play as much as I can and see if I have any problems. Just kinda wondering if it could be anything else? I also don't want something in my rig to mess up my wife's 970. I can't afford 2 new graphics cards

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

What driver are you on? Lately NVIDIA drivers have been a crap shoot.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

it says its on version 364.51

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

There is you issue tbh. Look for the 362.00 driver online and install it that way.

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Nvidia just release a new beta driver today that is supposed to resolve these issues. Keep in mind that it is a beta but definitely worth trying

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

It sounds like a driver problem. Please try updating your graphics driver to the latest. Download the driver from NVIDIA's home page.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

My computer had issues booting, i would get a black screen and had to force shutdown when i updated to latest nvidia drivers.

For now i would remove the driver you have

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

and install driver 362.00 which is not giving me any issues.

drivers for windows 10 64 bit

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/99202/en-us

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I think others commenting are on the right track with GPU driver. I don't have Nvidia currently so I can't say whether its an issue with the recent driver or not, but I would try what they say. Also it might also pay to remove your OC in case that is causing the instability/system freezing. I don't think it is the cause but it would be good to disable your OC to make sure it is not causing any other unknown issues

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Before trying another GPU I actually went into my BIOS and hit reset to optimized defaults on everything (thus removing my OC as well) and I haven't had a system crash yet but I did have to turn the graphics settings down some on my games cause the non overclocked CPU was struggling. So I think it still may be the 780 but now that my I5 is back to normal the 780 can keep up. I'm thinking it's time for that 980ti upgrade lol

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha maybe, least your system has stopped crashing.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I had the exact same issue with PC freezing only in gaming, temps were fine, voltages fine, windows updated, turned out to be Nvidia drivers. Rolled back to 361.75 and running fine now.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I know exactly how to fix this

Scince vista, Windows will constantly check to see if the graphics drivers respond in a given amount of time, so it sounds like your gpu drivers just have a higher average response time than normal (like mine did) nothing wrong with the drivers themselves

You have to change the deafault value from 2s to something higher, I just don't remember which value it was however, so give me a moment to find out again...

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

ok here we go...

1) right-click start and select run

2) in the run window, type regedit and press ok

3) once in the regedit window, follow these steps to get to the correct folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > GraphicsDrivers, (<-- click on this one)

4) once there, create a new value by right clicking on a blank space and selecting new.

5) select QWORD (64-bit) Value and name it TdrDelay

6) right click to modify and set it to hexadecimal and enter a value of, well, whatever you want, i have it set to 8 though just to give you a basic idea of what it should be

7) restart your computer and see if it works!

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, thank you! I do remember I had to do this a few years ago for an AMD Radeon card I had. I'm attempting it now and I'm trying a different PCIE power port on my PSU just for the heck of it.

The strangest thing though, I swapped my wife's 970 into my desktop and put my 780 in hers. Her 970 worked flawlessly in my desktop for 2 days and my 780 played fallout for about an hour no problem in her desktop. So I just swapped the cards back and I'll retest. I'm wondering, could the issue actually be my PSU? It's only 3 months old but it's an EVGA 750w Supernova NEX and I've heard the NEX aren't as good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube