add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Re-Rant: Razer Firefly

ewhac
  • 47 months ago

So.

In today's featured build, there was a Razer Firefly -- a mouse mat with animated RGB LEDs around the edge. I'm a total sucker for decorative lighting. However, last year, I had to make the tough decision to return a Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse because their Synapse 2.0 drivers demanded that you create a login to your mouse -- a requirement that was provably gratuitous and unnecessary.

"But," I thought, "this is just a mouse mat. It's not like a mouse or keyboard that, y'know, does things; it just sits there and looks pretty. Surely Razer can't be so completely divorced from reality that they would require a 'license agreement,' registration, an online connection, and a login for a mouse mat."

It turns out I was wrong. From Razer's Web page describing system requirements for the Firefly:

Razer Synapse registration (requiring a valid e-mail), software download, license acceptance, and internet connection needed to activate full features of product and for software updates. After activation, full features are available in optional offline mode.

Whoever has been passing out this "cloud" Kool-Aid need to have their head torn from their neck and stuck on a pike as a warning to other device vendors to not swallow this poison. Alas, it seems it's too late for Razer. Once you start demanding online registrations and logins for a MOUSE MAT, you are beyond recovery.

So long, Razer...

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh also, if your Internet is bad and you don't have offline mode, your lighting lags a TON. I can excuse Razer for having a account and what not for their lighting, but when you have to download things to offline which is a pain according to my friend, and then if you don't, make sure that your Internet is good?

No thanks

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Good riddance. That really is ridiculous

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube