add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTX 1060 specs

Srtpower
  • 45 months ago

If it actually sells anywhere close to the msrp $250 then I predict the 8gb rx 480 is dead in the water unless the price is dropped. http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-unleashed-249-usd/

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 8 points

I must be missing something here. The RX 480 can play all games at 1080p@60fps. Why would you think a card that's probably going to cost nearer to $299 but only offers a 5-10% perf increase be more attractive?

• 45 months ago
  • 6 points

i don't know why you are being downvoted (i can guess) but you are right. The GTX 1060 will be another paperlaunch. Prices at launch will be much higher then MSRP and the card will probably have a bad price to performance ratio compared to the RX 480.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Not everyone games at 1080@60fps. Nvidia is claiming 15% better performance (we'll have to wait for benchmarks).

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I do get that but you're better off getting a 1070 for 1440p (which I have myself). Price/perf wise, it doesn't make sense. Benchmarks will probably tell us more anyway.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

What I meant was that some people might have a 1080p 144hz monitor. Granted you wont get 144fps on newer titles but you should get well over 60fps for a smoother game. Also, I have a gtx 980 that I game on a 1440p monitor that is overclocked to 96hz. Depending on how intensive the games are and if I turn a few settings down, I can get anywhere from 60-90fps. So if the gtx 1060 is supposedly at least as powerful as a 980 then it is totally a viable 1440p card. Plus the launch retail is $250 compared to $550 (gtx 980).

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Take that with a grain of salt. Nvidia has a history of lying to us(gtx 970 3.5 gb vram issue)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

As the OP said, if the GTX sells for anywhere close to $250. You are correct if it is closer to $300.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

We all know this card will never sell at $250 on release. Just look at the 1070 & 1080.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

In my country GTX 1070 is 520 euros (ASUS), Founders card is even more expensive. So if GTX 1060 (partner cards) go to 300-320 euros I'll be happy :) The pricing really sucks... basically if you want card for around 250 euros, Nvidia has to set MSRP around 150 euros. I really don't know should I wait a couple of more months before getting GTX 1060/1070, and how soon the price is going to start dropping, or buy RX 480 from board partners? :S

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the problem is the FE pricing itself. Why should board partners expect to follow the MSRP when Nvidia are selling at a higher price. I don't think it worth waiting for a drop in price. Maybe Black Friday might have a slight drop but it's difficult to predict especially considering the availability at the moment.

I personally bought the GTX 1070 as I wanted to game at 1440p. Benchmarks aren't out for the GTX 1060 so I can't really give a suggestion. At the moment, I think the RX 480 is a better buy though.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I was almost sure I'll buy RX480 before it came out, than I decided to wait, because I heard GTX 1060 is around the corner. Now I'm thinking about going for GTX 1070, because I plan to buy 1440p monitor... and also I'm planing to use next graphic card for 4-5-6 years. I hope the GTX 1070 will drop in price soon, because 520 euros is just too much now :/

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

But they might have to to actually be competitive with the Rx 480, I think that they have to keep in mind that for the budget PC builders that could be very unattractive for them to jack the prices above MSRP, hence, making the 10-15% better clock negligible compared to the better overall pricing of the Rx 480

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

At ultra/high? I'm stuck right now between a custom 8gb 480 and a 1060 (not FE)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes at Ultra/high. I usually have most things running at Ultra with a few settings that are really taxing (like particle effects and maybe shadows turned down to high). Also, I usually have AA turned off or down really low since it impacts my fps by so much and I really don't notice jagged edges much on a 1440p monitor. And depending on the game I might turn down ambient occlusion. Most games run well over 60 fps (bf4, star wars battlefront, overwatch, project cars) only trouble I have is GTA V and The Division but they are REALLY demanding games. I do have my gtx 980 overclocked to 1485mhz to be fair. I would wait to see what the custom 1060's sell for and benchmark at before you make a decision.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops sorry, just saw you were replying to someone else. Both cards should be able to run 1080p at 60fps on ultra/high.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah it's fine, thanks for the info

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

You have a pretty good point, the RX 480 practically beats the 1060 to death with a spoon

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

Sadly I agree, I think this would be the card to go for over the 8GB RX480 given the minor price gap. the 1060 looks on paper like it will hold a solid lead, of course wait to see how it pans out.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

which will be aiming the budget market with a sub-$300 US pricing

It's amazing that under $300 is considered "budget". That's pretty expensive for a "budget" item. I'd think of budget video card as under $150... Maybe $175...

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

My guess is $300-$315 at launch, which at that point just doesn't seem worth it.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

more like $400 msrp like with gtx 1080 and 1070

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I was waiting to see how this budget 1060 played out, except now at $250...... pppfffft with conversion and tax turns out to be $450-500 almost as much as a 980......

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

An RX 480 is much better than the gtx 1060. And besides the RX 480 in cf comes to blows with the gtx 1080.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 4 points

There is no mention of a 3GB version at all today. It's possible the rumored 3GB SKU is the 1050 but officially there is no 1060 3GB edition.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1060

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no mention of a 3gb card. The msrp of $250 is for a 6gb GTX 1060. We of course will have to wait for benchmarks, but if the 1060 can beat the RX 480 8gb by 10-15% in games, better VR, lower TDP, and only cost around $10 more..... AMD will have to lower the cost of the 8gb card, which will mean they might have to slightly lower the 4gb card.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I would happily pay an extra $10-30 over the RX 480 8gb for an alleged 15% better performance in games. We will have to see the benchmarks of course first. Also, 6gb is way more than enough ram for 1080p/1440p. The RX 480 4gb at $200 is the sweet spot for budget gaming, but if someone is wanting to spend a little more then I don't know why they would go with the 8gb version would you could get a GTX 1060. I do agree on the whole sli issue.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Many titles do not go over 3gb of VRAM now at 1080p. This was shown with the debates regarding the 2GB vs 4GB versions of the GTX 960 and R9 380. The 4GB versions of both cards only showed increased performance in a couple, well known, taxing games. For the vast majority of games at 1080 their was no difference.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

My issue is we're seeing a trend in many newer games towards larger and larger textures even cards such as the 970 now can see performance improvements from overclocking the ram increasing bandwidth

Overclocking memory does not increase bandwidth so I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Any card can see improvements from overclocking memory, but more memory does not effect this.

And as this price point of the market is being targeted at 1440p and vr capable

What price point $300? If so I would agree with you. However since we have not seen how the GTX 1060 with 3GB handles VR we can't say if that will be an issue. At this point NVidia and AMD have offered different solution to VR, and those are not going to be comparable simply by card specs.

Now lower end models like the upcoming rx470 and 1050/ti are being pushed as 1080p cards for them lower amounts of ram only make sense

We has seen little to nothing on these cards so this is simply conjecture.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Just have 4GB of RAM does not mean it is going to perform better. This argument was used against NVidia because the 900 series had smaller memory buses then AMD but yet the benchmarks showed the 900 series out performing the AMD counter parts at the time.

The 1080p part is from AMD launch of the rx series 480 1440p/vr 470 premium 1080p

The 1080p part? What are you talking about?

Overclocking the ram Increases the total GB per second that the card can handle thus it's bandwidth

Yes, your right in the regard you are talking. However, what does that have to do with total memory?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

the 6gb was anounced for $250

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

$249 is a marketing ploy same as founder's edition just it doesn't exist

Exactly. "Founder's edition" is nothing but a harebrained scheme by Nvidia to inflate prices. The part that gets me is that it's working.

inb4 Someone plays the "supply and demand" card.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

"That's msrp for reference when there is no reference model" I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Anything over msrp is just a markup on the partner's side. I agree it is stupid but it will settle down like it always does after supply catches up with the demand. Look how expensive the Intel i7-6700k was at launch.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

"NVIDIA’s GTX 1060 will be available on 19th July around the globe at a starting price of $249 US for the custom models while the founders edition which will be the reference model will be available for a price of $299 US." - this is a direct quote from the article link.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube