add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New laptop forum area

philip

40 months ago

Hi everyone,

With the recent migration of laptops from PortablePicker to PCPartPicker, I've opened up a Laptop forum on PCPartPicker.

Cheers,
Philip

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Rip in pepperoni

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

So, RIP portable picker? Why do you do this?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

We explained it in the link.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, but you should have given it some time, like you or some other staff member said earlier it is a steady increase of users. Or was there another reason?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

??? I explained our reasoning in the content in the link. That's pretty much it - there's significant overlap, and changes in compatibility checking are better suited here.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh well, this website name doesn't really fit for people looking for laptops, but whatever.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

It will when you want external GPU compatibility.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I've always thought having both of them integrated is more functional. Great.

Wait...why can't we custom build our laptops?

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Some laptops to offer upgradability - being able to replace RAM, SSDs, etc. However that info is really sparse from the manufacturers. We're doing what we can to get that data, but there isn't a single source that has it all. So it may take some time before we can get that in (and feel confident in its reliability).

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. I first entered the Systems forum and the four (instead of three) sub-forums immediately stood out to me. Then I realized there was a new 'Laptops' forum. What about a 'Tablets' forum?

Some laptops to offer upgradability - being able to replace RAM, SSDs, etc. However that info is really sparse from the manufacturers.

How about built from scratch? If you or I were to have an LCD or LED screen, the hinges, a keyboard, touchpad, and of course the processor, SSD, HDD, PSU, battery (Lithium ion, metal air, or dual carbon)...and so on (which are a completely different landscape than the desktop world), then maybe it would be possible to custom build a laptop from scratch. Phew, that was a long sentence.

We're doing what we can to get that data, but there isn't a single source that has it all.

Proprietary is an innovation roadblock. It's true. Imagine if everything was free and open to reuse, modify, recreate, and redistribute; how far innovation would have come.

I was also considering creating a custom parts list for a custom laptop and hiring a professional company like Puget Systems to build it.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. I don't mind it so much. Albeit, I have a strong prejudice against the little portable ******** because my parents were too cheap to buy me a proper desktop. It ALWAYs had to be a laptop for "School". No upgradablility, tiny screens, and worse performance than a desktop at the same price. Hate the little wretched things.

Oh, I mean, um, yay! We're getting a new sub forum! :)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube