add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RX 470 is now for sale and review are up

Srtpower
  • 44 months ago

Looks like the RX 470 is another amazing card from AMD but the pricing makes absolutely no sense right now. It starts at $179 which is only $20 cheaper than an RX 480 reference card but most of the cards are going for $200+. Now they are AIB partner cards but the pricing is just too close to the RX 480 cards IMO. The Sapphire Nitro+ 4gb RX 470 is $209 which is only $10 less than the same exact card but the RX 480 model. I don't know if it is because the RX 480's are out of stock everywhere so retailers/AIB partners are trying to milk it or if this is going to be the pricing from here on out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=amd+rx+470&N=-1&isNodeId=1

The card does seem to be a little bit of a better overclocker than the RX 480 and one AIB card is getting a 20% gain in FPS over the reference 470 model by overclocking it.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_470_gaming_x_8gb_review,33.html

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Also you can flash the bios of the $199 RX-480 4gb and get the 8gb for free. Yeah those prices for the RX-470 seem bad and doesn't make sense to not just save a little more or not go out to dinner for 1 week. Anyways still a nice card but so close to the RX-480 numbers. Why does AMD do this to release cards so close to performance? All those 390/390X, 380/380x and so on cards.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

ahh good to know.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Very true but if you back it up you should be fine. Though it does kind of justify of why not just save $40 more or in the 470 case $40-60 more and get a RX-480.

Newegg seems to be all sold out on RX-470's already haha. Man how many ppl actually needed video cards this year is insane. Cant find GTX 1080-1060's and now RX-480-470.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

The huge jump in performance at around the same price as last year models haven't happened in a long time.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

am starting to wonder why should anyone buy a rx 480 when this card can do as good for a bit less money? O.o

AMD has done something weird (or not?).

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a great review by Digital Foundry. They are testing an MSI OC model but it is impressive to say the least. If you scroll down it shows that when they overclock it they are beating the reference model RX 480 8gb!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-radeon-rx-470-review

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

That and from reports I've seen, the 470 is very easy to OC.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

None of these cards should exceed $200. Especially when one of the best 470s available costs $200 and performs worse than the reference 480. Not by much, but I mean... Come on.

Then you see Sapphire selling theirs for $209.. **** you kindly.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

IMO Sapphire has lost it's way with the Polaris cards so far. Underwhelming coolers, and high prices aren't doing them any favors. Powercolor is making moves right now, they're the only ones who are really pricing the card to move, funny thing is - that has a 1270MHz boost clock, and is probably within spitting distance of the reference 480.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

It is haha. Tech of Tomorrow did some benchmarking comparing the 470 to the 480 as well as the 970 and one other card I can't think of at the moment.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a really good price for that card. $180 for a new card w/ a full warranty and good cooling that equals or beats the 970 in pretty much every game? From a pure price and performance standpoint, this is really the 470 to buy

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you see that RX 480 on amazon when it first came out? It was like 340$ usd...

**** amazon

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, kind of ridiculous. The Powercolor seemed to have some problems w/ clock consistency, but still good considering it was 1208 at the lowest - and 1267 average. It was pretty ridiculous, Guru3d showed the STRIX 470 downclocking into the low 1100s, no thanks.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a great deal but I was expecting all of the AIB cards to be $179-200 with the reference card more in the $160 range.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

The differences in performance are almost like the r9 380 vs r9 380x from last generation instead of the r9 370 vs r9 380. The performance and price are just too close in my opinion with these new cards. I would go with the cheapest RX 470 model like the Power Color and just overclock it. More or less reference RX 480 performance with the benefit of a quiet/cool card at less cost.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice to see an 8-pin connector on there for maximum overclocking.

Bet before the weekend ends we here about an Nvidia counter if it's good enough things should be nice for Xmas time sales.

This is my hope as well! I was leaning towards getting a RX 480 for my couch PC around the holidays but now I think an RX 470 on sale would be a much better buy.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Kind of puts the whole 3gb gimped GTX 1060 rumor into perspective (I still think they will call it the GTX 1050/GTX 1050ti). They must have known that AMD would release the RX 470 with only a 10% performance hit compared to the RX 480.

http://wccftech.com/gtx-1060-3gb-detailed-specs-leak/

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

It's 199$ now on newegg for some reason, I was gonna buy it as a place holder but not now lol hell 2 179$ cards would be fun for abit, I don't mind tinkering ;)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube