add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Headfi trustworthy or total BS?

AddisonKwong

42 months ago

So I was looking at headphone reviews recently (Beyerdynamic dt880,990, Sennheiser HD600,650) and stumbled across Headfi, where the members are talking audiophile giberish I could not understand. I would like to know if I should trust those guys over there as some people have pointed out that their remarks are total BS and thus should not be trusted.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Some of the best audio engineers in the planet are constantly active on Head Fi.

However, most of the people are not audio engineers, and as much as they refuse to believe it, most people do not have golden ears that are from years of tedious training.

Recently a post in the Sound Science subforum, which is usually the most dead forum on the entire site, has had an extremely popular thread pop up. I recommend you give it a read.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815376/rising-cost-of-audiophile-equipment-and-importance-of-bias-blind-testing

The Sound Science forum is usually the best place to go when you have questions as mods don't censor things to prevent issues from happening, mainly because the people there are more critical and actively enjoy a good, respectful debate.

Your BS meter should always be up on the site though.

Aside from the other sites mentioned, Hydrogenaudio is almost the exact opposite of Head Fi, almost enforcing objectivity into its members in ways that a newcomer might find oppressive if they don't understand how easy it is to fool the brain. : )

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Headfi is great. Tons of VERY knowledgeable people there. Definitely not BS at all.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually stumbled across a video on youtube talking about NwAvGuy, the one guy who invented the 02 and odac. He tried persuading people out of buying extremely large and expensive amps/dacs, and said that those amps/dacs may not offer a better experience for the user, and went on rambling on several audio websites, but ultimately got banned on Headfi. He made a point which I agreed with: how good an audio product is can only be tested by quantified blind testing. He also tried to debunk several audio myths such as burning-in with precise measurements. So it's really a mixed bag of opinions for me and the general consensus is, the 02 and odac is very good for its price and can sometimes be better than a much more expensive amp-dac.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

That is from many years ago, so it's not much of an issue. The odac and o2 are probably two of the most recommended products on Head Fi for a very long time. However, I do recommend not mentioning NwAvGuy outside the sound science forum as you might start a flame war. Enjoying music and helping others enjoy music is a very passionate hobby, and people can easily take things as personal attacks.

• 42 months ago
  • -1 points

Burning in is in no way a myth

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Objective tests have shown no significant change in sound signature, and the only way to verify this is by quantified blind testing. Ithink someone did these blind tests and showed shocking results online.The participants either couldn't tell the difference between used and new headphones, and dac-amps that cost 1000x more in price, or got the answer completely wrong.

• 42 months ago
  • -2 points

Then the test is BS. At first when I got my headphones, it was very ear fatiguing and the sound wasn't as bright as advertised. when I broke them in (100 Hours of all different types of music) the sound was much clearer and I could wear them longer. Besides, I think audio engineers would be calling out amps and USB/DACs if they didn't improve the sound at all

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

There could be two reasons that happened: first, you might have gotten used to the headphones and accepted them, second, breaking in the drivers really help the sound improve. However blind tests and objective measures show little to no change in sound signature. To this I can only say it could be true, and similarly it couldn't . We should take this with a grain of salt and dont expect it to change 10 dollar headphones into sennheiser to hd 800s

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Most are very good reviews. Describing audio reproduction is confusing in general, but not impossible to decode and once you do you can get a good feel for how the headphones sound beforehand without ever putting them on.

Of course, they are individual reviews form randoms, so there is bound to be some BS.

I used to have a guide on how to describe the qualities of a sound, ill have to dig it up. (It was very in depth, but it accurately described what this "audiophile gibberish" is).

In the mean time, of you want a specific terms picked apart, ask me and I may be able to tell you what it means in human

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually tend to sort of patrol there and help out any newbies from time to time. It's a good place but occasionally you have that incorrect piece of info and whatnot. It's not hard at all once you do alittle bit of research and you will be set to understand all of it.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Here is a guide on headfi itself, it wasn't what i was looking for, but good enought

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for the link, I kinda get what it means, what the headphones may sound like, but as with any product that has objective reviews, I ought to try them out myselves, after all, everyone hears differently right?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

unfortunately, you probrably wont be able to try many out without actually paying some money :/

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

It's decent for general information but with any big community it's a mixed bag. Owner of the site is also very protective of its sponsors.

For a headphone enthusiast community I would check out Super Best Audio Friends. http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

SBAF lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube