add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about FPS, Hz, G Sync, and screen tearing.

Sol_Ox
  • 42 months ago

Does screen tearing only occur when your fps shoots above the Monitors Hz? Or can it also occur if it gets too low below the Monitors Hz? For Example, if I hit an average of 60fps even though my Monitor is set to 144Hz, can screen tearing occur?

I ask this because I plan to build a new Gaming Computer with the GTX 1070, and I know the GTX 1070 will never hit near 144fps on max settings with many of todays games. If screen tearing only occurs when FPS shoots above 144Hz, then I will know for certain that I won't need G Sync to avoid it, thus saving me about $200ish.

I want to have a monitor that lets me enjoy the game visuals, has good response rate, and no screen tearing (I notice it, and it bugs me). If it truly is worth getting G Sync, then I might very well just go for it.

Another option I'm considering is going for a 1080p 144Hz version with G Sync, but is TN instead (no such thing as a 1080p IPS 144Hz sadly). Is TN vs IPS that much of a difference in terms of visual quality? Or Can I still enjoy the visuals of a game on a 1080p game with Max Graphics from a game like, lets say, Tomb Raider, GTA V, Gears of War 4, or Battlefield 1? (I play a variety of different types of games)

For a 1080p monitor, I'm considering the Acer Predator XB241H For 1440p, I'm considering the Acer Predator XB271HU or the Acer XB270HU

PS: I would also like to play PlayStation 4 on this monitor, but I'm aware it doesn't scale to 1440p, and I also wonder how ugly it might look on it.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You will get above 144 fps with a 1070 on a lot of modern games, that's all I know about your questions.

LOL get an AMD RX 480 and this freesync monitor save yourself a couple hundred.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Or the Fury X

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube