add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Headphones with the most realistic sound?

ilmlrl2

40 months ago

I'm trying to get the best headphones/headset out there to go with my first gaming build. I don't have much experience with headphones, I've only had like one decent pair, so I'm looking for some advice from the gamers and audiophiles out there.

Currently, I'm planning to get a Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Channel Headset: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/k86BD3/sennheiser-headphones-pc363d

Do you know of any better ones? If you have an awesome headset/pair of headphones, which ones are they? I want something with really realistic sound and over the ear ear-cups instead of on the ear. Preferably black, to go with my build theme (black with RGB LEDs so I can change the color if I get bored; for that matter, RGB LEDs on the headphones are a plus). Mic is optional, I really don't care all that much about having one. As long as the sound is great.

Thanks for reading :) suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a budget? Realistic sound will not come cheap.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, I've seen some headphones on the Sennheiser site that go for like $2,000, and I just don't see that being worth it unless you're a DJ or something.

But like... idk I guess $700 tops, though I don't feel like there's going to be a worthwhile difference between a $300 pair and a $700 pair, but I'm no expert.

Any suggestions?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

There will be a difference but around $300 is the "sweet spot" for headphones. Though I wouldn't spend that amount unless you listen to a lot of music as well and your collection consists of high quality files. Headphones in this price range tend to be revealing and poor audio will only sound worse.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thy're pretty much just going to be gaming headphones; I'll use the speakers for regular web browsing and so forth. I might listen to some music with them, probably during games, but I'm mainly just looking for something with good positional audio that provides crisp, pretty realistic seeming sound for all the other stuff in video games, e.g., explosions sound like big awesome explosions instead of an old french waiter coughing politely into his handkerchief (lol). Besides that, I'm looking for a comfortable fit, but I figure most people are.

I'm looking at the Sennheiser Game series (probably the Game One). Any thoughts on those?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

They're good, $150 on amazon is a fair price. If you don't need a mic or are ok with using something cheaper look at the HD 558. Goes on sale for $80 occasionally.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

In the audio world, 2k can come as cheap for some. ;)

If you want an endgame setup, go on Massdrop, get the K7xx and the modmic before the drops are over. Done.

Don't bother upgrading. If you want to use them for music, get Joe Bloggs' crossfeed plugin. You really won't need to go much further.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Are the HD 598s comfortable? Cause I'll be wearing them for a long while at a time, I don't want my ears to feel pinched or anything like that lol

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

BTW the pc363d's have the same sound signature as the HD558s, the same passing as the 5*8 series, With a mic and virtual 7.1

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Just out of curiosity, what's the cord change for?

I checked out the 598, and those things look amazingly comfortable.

Can you tell me if I should go for stereo or 7.1 surround? Like, which is better? I really have no idea.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for butting in, but 7.1 is not a realistic thing per say. It's a complete gimmick that is purely garbage and gets murdered with just some knowledge on physics and a video like the barbershop. Now if you were ever thinking on 7.1 surround speaker systems then it would be worth it.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really have the floor space to put speakers behind me. I read somewhere that it's a gimmick, but is it really that worthless? And, just out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say a knowledge of physics and a specific video kills it?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube