add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can my motherboard amp handle high ohm headsets?

Vas65mar

41 months ago

Hey everyone, i have the ASUS Maximus VI Formula which has a built in amp that says it can power headphones up to 600ohm. Im wondering if i should get 250+ ohm headphones and power them with my motherboard amp.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe you can, maybe not it depends on the headphones you are planning to use. Some headphones are highly inefficient despite a low impedance like the Hifiman HE-6 which requires an amp powerful enough to drive loudspeakers.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

im looking at the beyerdynamic dt-770 or 880 pros

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a pair of DT 770 PRO 80 ohm. Really nice headphones but ultimately the recessed mids/vocals made me sell them. DT 880 will be more balanced sounding but leans on the bright side (boosted highs). DT 770 will be a good choice for bassy music like pop, electronic, rap where as the 880 are better all rounders and would shine with genres such as classical or rock.

Onboard should work fine. If you have a Guitar Center near you they might have one of those models on demo

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

High impedance headphones, despite what people usually day, are quite easy to drive. Low impedance, inefficient headphones at much harder. Still, unless you have extremely hard to drive planars, they aren't too hard to drive.

Since you mentioned 250 and 600, I assume you are taking about Beyerdynamic?

(I know now as I read the other comments. -_-;)

The 250 ohm version should be a good choice. You don't really need an amp unless you are buying very high end stuff.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube