add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NVIDIA Users: Avoid GeForce Experience v3.0

ewhac

41 months ago

Users are cautioned against installing this version of GeForce Experience until NVIDIA corrects a major oversight in the application.

After installation/update, launching GeForce Experience 3.0 will then ask you to "login" to your graphics settings. In previous releases of GeForce Experience, this was optional. However, this version omits the ability to skip account creation/linking and maintain driver settings locally. As a consequence, if you don't have an account, and have no interest in creating one, you can't get at any of your settings or other GeForce Experience features.

It is therefore recommended that users hold off on updating to version 3.0 until NVIDIA corrects this issue.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 4 points

Had fun over at Anandtech with this. Tin foil hats, everywhere!

Who cares if you have to create an account or not? NVIDIA isn't going to change this, AMD does it already, and it's a simple part of modern online PC usage. If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that. And don't think for a minute it is going to disappear. Account logins have gainedpopularity due to the interest of individuals who like it. If it wasn't truly liked, or wanted... it wouldn't be around.

If there are features I know I will use and want, i don't mind signing up. I have many many many dummy emails accounts for one time registration/login types. If there's nothing I want or can gain anything from, I pass on it. Simple.

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

If there are features I know I will use and want, i don't mind signing up.

Here's the part you're ignoring as hard as you possibly can, and hoping no one else notices: Today, you need to create a cloud account to access those features. However, yesterday, you didn't. Nor did you last week. Or last month. Or last year. Or at any previous time throughout NVIDIA's 23-year history. So what changed?

As a software engineer of 30 years professional experience, I know what changed: NOTHING. Local software ran locally 23 years ago, and it still runs locally today. You download it, you install it, you're done. Maybe you gave the vendor an email address to register your warranty. But there is no technical reason to require a cloud login, because you're not accessing any cloud-based services. It is entirely gratuitous, done for no other reason than, "Because we can."

As for the proffered contests and giveaways, that can (and should) be done on NVIDIA's Web site. It does not belong in a locally running program.

You are ceding control of a portion of your machine to an entity that has not merely failed but actively refused to justify their alleged need to do so. It's bad computer security, it's bad business, and it's bad manners.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I see your point, but what you and those that fight against this stuff always bypass is it's your choice to install. NVIDIA isn't forcing you to install this. It is easily removable if you do. Oh... and along with the vast majority of other hardware brands, you can get a bare driver installation file on the same page as the larger install file. Problem resolved.

This comes down to a simple fact. This software isn't for you. So... ignore, stop using, or accept the terms of use. No use complaining about it or assuming NVIDIA (or any other company) is going to change what they want for a very very very small group of individuals. As a software engineer, you should understand this.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Account logins have gained popularity due to the interest of individuals who like it.

After logging into A computer (whether it be a server or a PC) further logins seem redundant. So what individuals like additional logins being required as opposed to being optional?

I'm not familiar with GeForce Experience, is it suppose to be useless without a web connection, and that's why it doesn't matter?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont use it anymore. Everything is set at highest quality, dont need it :)

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Certainly one valid solution :-) . However, ShadowPlay, NVIDIA's screen recorder app, is actually useful, and is also stuck inside GeForce Experience. So, kind of a bummer until NVIDIA fixes it.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

edit: the editing software I use is problems with Geforce experience from what i read at software forum. Direction is to uninstall so the video card can render video's. Plus i use bandicam for game recording.

I was just never interested in GF Experience as it down graded my game settings.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I am probably an idiot, but I still find it hard to believe that ShadowPlay is still a thing...

0_0;

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Today log in, tomorrow you have to subscribe for a fee what will you do then? what if both AMD and Nvidia put a fee on using there cards and drivers????

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, what I'd expect to see happening is that that there is a free tier of drivers which give you a +5% (max) boost in performance in the game and a paid for tier of say $10 per driver which gives you the maximum amount of performance out the driver possible.

[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Giving the rate that both sides are open sourcing driver required info I give it about 24-48 hours before some geniuses get working driver's running, posted, and for free.

By 'both sides' do you mean AMD and Intel? Nvidia is not open sourcing they're drivers and has fought against efforts to do so.

[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

My share button on menu is not working for me. How can i go back to previous version of GeForce experience??

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been seeing problems with the latest NVIDIA drivers but not this kind of issue. I contacted them about it and all I've heard is that it's been forwarded to backend.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't see a problem. I have an account with everyone else at this point, EVGA, ASUS, Intel, Steam, Google, Yahoo...why not NVidia.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand what you're trying to get across, but the title is very misleading. A better title would be Warning : GFE 3.0 needs an account or something along those lines. The title right now conveys if there's a critical error caused by GFE 3's code

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube