add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SHURE SRH840 alternative

frankel1414

39 months ago

I'm looking for an alternative to my SHURE SRH840 headphones.

Whilst I love the sound, my first pair started cracking after a few months and a replacement pair now has issues with the cable.

I mainly listen to female vocals and electronic/synth type music. I'll be using my headphones with a NuForce uDAC-3 so I'll probably need something that are easy to drive.

Price £100-£130.

TIA.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

AudioTechnica ATH-MSR7

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Out of budget and they sound the opposite of his Shures (cold vs warm sound signature)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

shures are $198 tho

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

My 840's were only £99 when I bought them. Prices in the UK have gone crazy recently.

The AKG K702's were £129 not long ago. £163 now. Tried these once and hated them but that was probably because I didn't have a suitable AMP.

Currently using my old Sony V6's that have served me well over the last 3 years. Why the hell did Sony discontinue them?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't really considered these but they sound interesting.

I could stretch to £169 for the right pair.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Brainwaivz HM5

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read a few reviews that suggest these are muddy and that the plastic cracks after a while.

I really need to get the build/sound balance right. I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of sound quality if they were durable.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if you don't mind a different kind of sound Beyerdynamic has some very durable cans that are affordable. Take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT 770/990 PRO. Both have a V shape sound which emphasize bass and treble while the mids take a step back.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just after clarity over bass really (and a solid build). I like the more 'natural' sounding headphones. I was actually looking at the Beyerdynamic dt880's 600ohm but I'll need a better AMP.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Then get the 250 version! :D best of both worlds and you can power it off your phone.

: )

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The Focal Spirit Professional's look decent but appear to have comfort issues.

Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 250ohm another option. Would these need a decent AMP? I've only got a NuForce uDAC-3.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Should be fine. If you want a natural headphone Sennheiser's HD 600 is by far one of the best. I would probably avoid the DT 880 considering you didn't like the AKGs which have a similar sound.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Shure SRH 750s :)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm finished with SHURE after my issues with the 840's. I just don't trust their overall build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube