add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I am not an audiophile!

kingkillergamer42

39 months ago

I have been looking at headsets for gaming, after researching a bit it sounds like the g230's are a better choice then the g430's in every way except for maybe the mic and less software. As you would expect since im only spending $40 on my headset i do not expect great quality. What im wondering is that is the software and better mic worth the bad surround sound that the g430 has? I do play with my friends so will they be annoyed by the g230's bad mic?

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much every headset will have poor surround sound, mainly due to the fact that there are usually only two speakers, and those are pressed right up against your ears, even my hyper x cloud headset isn't great for positional audio, So I would go with the better mic on the g430, besides if my R6S and war thunder time has taught me anything, it's that even if a team is player-per-player worse, they can still have a better chance of winning, provided they have better communication

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

ok so the weird surround sound wont actual be so bad? this is coming from someone who thinks the apple earbuds have a good enough sound quality btw

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

It'll be hardly noticeable

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

ok sweet thanks for the help

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

get a regular analog set and not a usb one, and use the free Razer Surround software and it will make even normal headphones sound awesome in surround... far better than creatives EAX as far as im concerned. then you can focus on a better quality set and not the surround software it uses as razer will do that for you for free.

I went with razer tiamat 2.2 for my headset... double your budget, but real multi speaker surround sound and an excellent quality mic for a pair under $100. ive used the software with some other ones as well as with regular headphones and even my 5.1 surround sound speaker system, and it even made THAT sound better lol. its a free upgrade for any headset. That said, i dint like the audio from the g430 much either, but it was a store demo, so not sure if it was the software or the speakers.... nice mic though... and very light and comfy. i really hate usb headsets though due to the many issues over the years with bad drivers, bad wiring, bad software, etc.... much safer bet to go analog instead.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

no, you're impressions were correct. The g430 sounds bad.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

i believe the g430 also comes with analog options not just usb. is it a good choice then?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

That's up to you really. Your looking at the ultra cheap end of headsets, so your not going to get anything really good. The 430 should be OK though if it has analog.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thanks

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

the g230 is fine, but I will warn you they are pretty fragile. They will break at the joint between the earcup fork and the headband and there is nothing you can do about it.

Oh yeah, and the sound is just generally bleh.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

ok is there anything better for less than $50?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-HS800-Fatal1ty-Gaming-Headset/dp/B002DS4HTM/ref=sr_1_1?tag=amazon0606-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1447628788&sr=8-1&keywords=Fatal1ty+Gaming+Headset

This one is well reviewed and comes from a trusted audio company. There seems to be a newer model, but it doesn't have any reviews yet

meant to reply to my other comment, but oh well

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Do open back headphones basically have surround? I have open back headphones I used on ps4 and now I have the Sony gold's with 7.1 and I think the open back's are a lot easier to distinguish positions.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

the open backed headphones allow the diaphragm to move easier which generally gives a more natural sound especially in the highs. It's likely the better positioning is just because the open backed ones have a more accurate sound.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube