add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sennheiser HD 598 or ATH-M50X?

ocd_gamer

39 months ago

Hello

A couple days ago my current set of headphones broke after a good 4-5 years of use, however being a media student has made it rather crucial that I get a new set to replace these as soon as possible.

After doing some research I narrowed down my choices to the Sennheiser 598 and the ATH-M50X due to their high performance. I was leaning more towards the Sennheiser 598's due to their high quality audio and extremely comfortable ear cups (I know the bass is apparently not great, but it's not that important to me), however I have suddenly become unsure about my choice after hearing that this pair suffers from some bad sound leakage. The intention was to have a set I could bring to class for spotify and audio editing, however I don't want to annoy my classmates if the sound leakage is as bad as the reviews say it is.

I have heard some good things about the ATH-M50x headphones however I have heard that they are quite uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time which is quite unideal as well given that I will need to be wearing them for most of the day (for reference my classes go from 8:30am-5:30pm).

What would you guys personally recommend?

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

ATH M50-X to me are strictly for studio monitoring, they are not for pleasure or regular consumers. I would suggest the M40-X as a better alternative. Due to your usage case I would not use a open back design as the sound leakage will come out at moderate listening levels.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The 598 headphones are completely open baxked, so any sound can come in or out of them freely. You can actually estimate how loud this will be to other people using online calculators (estimate the diaphragm as being 1" away from your ear)

It is an intrensic problem with closed back headphones that inside the earcups will heat up. Normally all it takes to get back to work is a few seconds to air out. I have heard the m50x pads are better than the previous headphones (m40x, m30x, etc) and there is a healthy market for after market pads

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Given that my classmates sit about 1m away from each other the HD 598's don't sound ideal. I will probably look into getting the m50x for that reason

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't care for bass, the m50x is not that special. I reccomend the jaybirds x2 for great sound while being a wireless in ear pair for $100, they're pretty nice

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube