add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Yahoo.com Data Breach; Info on 500M Accounts Stolen

ewhac
  • 43 months ago

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160922006198/en/

Assuming your account(s) haven't already been pwned, you should probably login and change the password or, if you're not using it, delete the account entirely.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

Yahoo is still relevant?

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

No...

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

I think what is most surprising is Yahoo has 500 Million users.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yet again...

How recently did this happen?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought it was last 2008...

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

My Yahoo Account was a throw away sooooo, the hackers can have my useless email. :)

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

You'll still want to close it so that there are less hacked accounts out there doing cybercrime. Yahoo has major data breaches every day and they never learn from them, or at least it feels like it.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess so.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I only used my yahoo account for answering tech questions on there...

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yahoo Answers ignores your abuse reports and is full of misinformation. I used to answer tech questions on there but I gave up after noticing that things I report never get dealt with and others complaining about the same issue on the feedback forum with no response from Yahoo.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

And ditch Yahoo.

Look up Yahoo in the dictionary. It means someone that isn't very nice. And that's how Yahoo treats security...

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

You should still at least change your password. In the long term, you can import emails into Gmail from other email providers including Yahoo Mail. (Just make sure that you have a TON of RAM if you're using Gmail; Gmail is literally larger than the largest hog on earth when it comes to memory usage.)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

i have a 4GB ram laptop using gmail.

i use ipad for school, and we must use gmail as our student email host, that thing has less than 4gb.

RIP me

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

What?

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally around every 3 to 6 months, depending on the strength of your password.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You can change the email associated with your MineCraft account.

Login to Mojang's website and edit your account.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Probably because they already have an account with them and don't want to spend the time and effort to move to a new email provider. Also many Yahoo Mail users may not have seen other mail services and don't know that there's anything better out there.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

^ Yahoo users are like North Korea.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Hashed and salted passwords can still be cracked, it just takes longer and gives people more time to take action when breached.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure if I already said this, but even accounts with strong passwords can be attacked if the password is stolen.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube