add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cryorig R1 Universal on Sabertooth Mark 1 mobo

Papparone

34 months ago

Hi all, I am looking for assistance with my build. I am planning to get the Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Motherboard (https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH-Z170-MARK-1/) and I want to use the Cryorig R1 Universal for the CPU cooler (http://www.cryorig.com/r1-universal_us.php). Can anyone tell me if they have actually tried this set-up as I am wondering if there will be interference with the I/O covers at the top left corner area of the mobo with this R1 CPU cooler. Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/b/nZtJ7P this is a build with the CRYORIG R1 ULTIMATE so not much difference between the 2.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Enrico411, thank you for your reply. I have seen this build and have taken a look at it however my concern is that the center to center distance between the R1 Universal & R1 Ultimate is 4.5mm which could push it back far enough. I have emailed Cryorig as well to see if they can confirm it fits. I May just wait until the new H7 Quad Lumi comes out. Thanks again!

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

The R1 will cool better then the H7 tho. Should allow for better temps when you plan to overclock the cpu. But the choice is up to you ofcourse ;)

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I just bought the R1 Ultimate and Sabertooth MkI combination myself. Given the demonstration Enrico411 pointed out, there shouldn't be any trouble with the R1 Universal because both use the same thicker fan at the back end of the cooler. The only difference is the thinner fan at the front end nearest the RAM. You should be good to go...I certainly hope so because I'm in the same boat!

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Hammer182, Thank you for your reply. Thank you for letting me know and hope your build goes well. Yes i noticed the set-up seems the same at the back however as mentioned above my concern is that the center to center distance between the R1 Universal & R1 Ultimate is 4.5mm which could push it back far enough. I have emailed Cryorig as well to see if they can confirm it fits. I May just wait until the new H7 Quad Lumi comes out. Thanks again!

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Hammer182. How'd the installation go for the R1 Ultimate and the Sabertooth Mark 1? Thank you

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Pending. Got the last of my parts today (LG 27UD68-P Monitor) but I'm getting ready to move. Everything is staying in its packaging until we get settled. I'll likely post a build summary on PCPP when I've got it together, though. It's hard to see that stack of parts sit idly by while I continue to use my Core2Quad build from 2007.

Soon...very soon...

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Good luck my friend!

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Here's the plan...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $215.99
CPU Cooler CRYORIG R1 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $76.29
Motherboard Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $237.59
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $112.32
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $194.39
Storage Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC Video Card Purchased For $267.99
Case be quiet! DARK BASE 900 | SILVER ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $163.39
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $103.79
Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit Purchased For $129.95
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 107.4 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For $28.22
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 107.4 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For $28.22
Other LG 27UD68-P 4K IPS 60Hz FreeSync Purchased For $349.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1935.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-26 17:35 EST-0500
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

hey all, just wanted to let you know I heard from Cryorig and this is their reply: "The R1 Universal will fit with the ASUS Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Motherboard without any issue! Have a nice day!" so this is good news!

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no interference between the R1 and the Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 motherboard. In my case, I have the R1 Ultimate.

Of course, with this kind of massive CPU cooler, you have to keep in mind that using a low profile RAM is a must (I use Corsair LPX sticks).

As user LOD_DTOM has reported in his build, using AISuite and Thermal Radar is a pain in the *** somehow. Even if I change CPU voltage in the BIOS, having the ASUS software installed increases the voltage and I can not get it down. It is strange, since I have not had this issue at all with the same software and the Maximus VII Hero and X99 Pro USB 3.1. motherboards I also own.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube