• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Jeff_M 28 months ago

I will hopefully be building my new system in the next couple of months, and plan to start putting gaming content on Youtube, and then a little later possibly Twitch. We've all seen streamers get DDoSed and even had SWAT raids carried out, so my question is what is the best way to protect against this sort of thing? Obviously ensuring I never reveal my address or sensitive personal info is important, and keeping certain social media private. Other than that all I can think of is running a VPN, ensuring I have different passwords on every account, and hoping for the best. I do use 2 factor authentication where possible anyway so I'm not worried about that. I may or may not use a webcam to show my face while playing games, I haven't decided on that yet.

If you're a streamer or Youtuber, what security measures have you taken, or what do you recommend?

Comments Sorted by:

elvenson 5 Builds 3 points 28 months ago

Very simple, do not share other accounts with viewers. They can be compromised in various ways as Etnzz pointed out with Skype... Same for Facebook and most others as well... YouTube and twitch don't pass your info through, so don't expect any direct attacks based on those accounts. Never reveal any personal info, including things that seem minor like a story about your high school days that includes the school name... Every bit of info can be used to find you. If someone really wants to get you, they will simply collect enough data on you if they can't find you through your accounts.

Etnzz 1 point 28 months ago

Well put, +1

BigAll 5 Builds 2 points 28 months ago

For voip, discord is much better with not handing your information ot to the world than skype.

Agreed, also they have better measures like if someone posts a shortened link, now you can see where the link actually goes to from discord.

Jeff_M submitter 1 Build 2 points 28 months ago

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Pretty much confirmed everything I've seen doing my own research as well. I tend to not play online too much, if I do use a chat/voip application it will most likely be Discord, no plans to use Skype so no worries there.

AwesomeBuilderXE1901 3 Builds 2 points 28 months ago

VPN, so your IP is hidden. Don't cheap out here. Also follow what the others have said.

Anit-DDoS (For the mosT part) - VPN (To hide IP) Note: most streamers/youtubers are kinda dumb and give their IP commonly by: - Skype username (they can resolve it and grab the IP, (however you can stop that with a skype setting i believe) - Clicking on a shortned link like goo.gl/whatever (You can log IPs if u know how, commonly with website) - Not knowing and having some thing like above happen.

(Also, someone could even possibly use something like wireshark and grap ur ip if ur in a skype call or something.. but they'd most likely be your friends or someone you know so...) and if u have skype u can run a VPN of course or even possibly run skype w/ a proxie for skype itself.

If they do get ur IP somehow i believe most routers have options in their webpage to kinda... well stop a certain amount of packets accepted, therefore if they DDoS you them packets get dropped and it doesn't work. (You could search about this more on Google or something)

Anyways, you should always never let people get Your IP. They can do thingz with it.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 28 months ago

For stop you from be SWATed you would want the least amount of personal info available online so you can't easily be doxxed. While I would do anything with it, much less SWATing, its not that hard to find info on people. I have found the address of a couple of people on PCPP in just 5 minutes.

LemonComputers 1 point 28 months ago

I have found the address of a couple of people on PCPP in just 5 minutes.

How'd you do that?

Jeff_M submitter 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

A lot of stuff is public information, you just have to know where to look. It differs from state to state in the US, but it's easier than you'd think, especially if they use the same username across platforms or disclose seemingly innocuous information in thread discussions.

Tooth 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

How? LemonComputers......

I found 4 things that I didnt know about you :) using google

LemonComputers 1 point 28 months ago

What are they?

[comment deleted by staff]