add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The Part of my Build I'm Most Indecisive About

montiago

38 months ago

I've got My Build pretty much figured out -- except for the sound.

I need a few recommendations for a good headset/microphone setup for YouTubing/Twitch Streaming.

Budget: I won't spend $1000 on new audio equipment for something just starting out, but I'm not looking for pieces of tin foil either ;)

I do have a Behringer Xenyx mini mixer that was given to me by my music mentor.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 598, but a lot of reviews say that it's not too strong on the bass side of things. I'd like a set of headphones that can reach a good rance. Don't mind if it's open back (it's my understanding that they're better/more comfortable for long periods of gaming, anyway). I have, however, read that getting a solid DAC/Amp will bring out the potential of the 598s, so maybe there's that too :')

1. Should I go for the sound card route, or since I have a mixer, go for the DAC/Amp route? With each option, please provide recommendations and your reasons. I'm not versed in terms like ohm and whatnot, but you can use things like "warm, heavy sound, etc."

2. I'd prefer the microphone to be XLR.

Help.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Get the at2020 for a mic, and go for an amp and dac, id suggest the shiit audo magni and modi, it is more than powerful enough to power the 598s

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I see the at2020 get recommended a lot. Is there a specific reason? What other alternatives do you suggest? The more options I have, the better. I can provide them to my mentor/director/producer and he can help me choose from the options :)

Thanks.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Shure SM57 and SM58

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm familiar with the 57 and the 58. I use the 57 on my drums at church. They're great! Never thought to use them for voice, however.

I've only used the 58 for live sound. How does that compare to indoor, small room voice recording?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

In theory, it should sound the same. I've only ever used wireless 58s so I don't know if there are any major hiccups with a wired 58 (I doubt it though because Shure is great).

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The at2020 get recommended a lot because of its great build quality and its close to flat standard rating at the start, ant at its price point, there aren't many mice that are comparable, but the Blue Yeti pro, the Akg c414 and sure pg42 are great alternatives

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

O_O the AKG C414 is $1000! We're not there yet, bud, hahahaha.

If you gave me a choice of all three, I'd probably just go with the Shure. Use their mics at our church. I trust their reliability just based on my past experience alone. Thanks :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Np, i didnt realize that i suggested that one, i hope that everything works out great

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

A more balanced alternative to the HD598's are the beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250. They have more bass than the HD598's, making them more balanced and suited for music and gaming, while the HD598's are a bit better for gaming.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Noted! They look plenty comfortable :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, with an amp/dac they would work even better because you can control the eq to suit your needs :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Would I need to go with an amp AND a dac setup? Wouldn't the mixer sort of work as an amp already?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I think a mixer would work. I think. I legit know next to nothing about audio, I have just been researching and looking at heaps of headphones and found the dt990 and the Hd598 and am getting the 598 because I am using them for competitive gaming and they are better because they are lighter on the base, and the dt990 is more balanced.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube