• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Usoppkunn 28 months ago

What do you guys think? It's currently 40$ more right now then the original. For my build I plan on doing lots of gaming, but I've always wondered how much of a different would the two cards make. For example frames, would there be a big of a difference like Max quality to ultra/extreme? Thanks

Comments Sorted by:

A5PECT 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

No, the OC version won't grant you any higher settings than the non-OC version will. Out of the box, the STRIX OC will only hold a few more fps over the standard STRIX. The price is only justifiable if you're looking to overclock and willing to risk the extra cash.

My advice is to just get the non-OC version.

Wadseraptor 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

I read somewhere that manufacturers select their heavy OC chips based on the capabilities of the silicon in those chips. AKA, the silicon in the OC version will generally give you more performance (when adding an extra manual overclock to both).

Simplified - you might get more overclock performance from the already overclocked one compared to the non-overclock version.

I definitely don't have any metrics to back that up, but the logic makes sense - a manufacturer like ASUS needs to guarantee that their factor OC's will hold up just as strong as the non-OC versions, and as such need to down-select stronger chips for their OC versions.

[comment deleted by staff]