add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is open box safe?

supersimon2

35 months ago

I found a open box deal and I want to know if it is safe. It is selling on newegg. If the item is broken can I send it back?

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Open box is perfectly fine. I would recommend buying it and running benchmarks on it to make sure there's nothing wrong with it, after that you're in the clear. The two most likely reasons it was returned in the first place are they wanted a different GPU, or there was coil whine. Coli whine can be lessened by changing the voltage, though.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you buying that's open box?, if its a cpu, id have it tested to make sure it works. But i got an open box psu from micro center, it had everything and after they tested it to show that it worked, i bought it, but your mileage may vary.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a Gpu

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, if it's a great deal,why not, just make sure that you can get the warranty, i think you'll be fine if there are any problems

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I would only ever recommend case fans, power supplies, ram, and GPUs for Open Box. For the most part, they literally just had their box opened (hence the name) and maybe tested once. But, it is the risk you take because they don't know what the previous owner did. CPU's might have bent pins or poorly OC, while Mobos might be dead or have dead ports. I have had a great experience with refurbs & open box products. Just be prepared to ship it back if it doesn't work.

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

So I should have a way to test it immediately? I don't want to buy the rest of the build after and find out it is broken.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube