add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why Are Nvidia's Older Cards (Even 900 series) So Expensive Brand New?

PeekOfGaming

36 months ago

Hey guys. So I've noticed that cards like the 970 & 980ti have been climbing up in price as time goes by and sales are made. The 970 is climbing over $300 and the 980ti is trying to be sold at $1k new on Newegg (WHAT!?). Is it because with each new series their last generation goes on sale?

I am only asking this question because gorgeous, powerful older AMD cards like the R9 Fury are on sale now for $240 while the RX 480 costs the same if not more.

Is that AMDs way to raise sales? Is NVIDIA on crack?

Let's talk about this!

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Through the 90s and early 2000's, computer hardware manufactures learned a very valuable lesson:

Don't create conditions where last years over-produced product is in a position to legitimately compete with this years new release.

They are very smart about how they keep track of inventories in the market, and when they release new products into the market. They no longer allow massive surplus's of old-stock to be their own worst enemy for new sales at a premium price.

"Why is old technology more expensive than new technology?" Not enough competition and way too much opportunity for market manipulation by tightly controlling supply.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Mainly yhe issue with pricing is the fact that older cards lack new production. Nvidia isn't just going to go back and mass reproduce the 8800 gt. The older cards are obsolete by todays standards and supply is low. When people get desperate for product in limited stock, they pay premium price sometimes. As for the 980 TI being 1k... thats crazy. It should sell for around 600 or less wtf lol

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah of course the 8800 GT isn't worth the silicon it's made with nowadays lol. I think that when the new series is released, that sale they have WIPES out their inventory of last generation cards as well as their current gen ones. The one I saw for $1k was from a Chinese dealer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA73M4UU6416

They're on crack. I got my Golden Edition 980Ti for $399 during the 1070's launch in June. I was so pissed EVGA's website would crash every time they came back in stock but honestly this card is so much better. A basic 1070 isn't as good as this high-quality 980ti. You only see reference 980tis under $400 these days.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I have an 8800 GTS (the very first version from 2006)! It actually did pretty well in modern days. I mean, I've swapped it now for a GTX 1070 which is waaaaaay better, but yeah. The GTS still works too. I'm tempted to put it in a glass case and hang it on the wall.

More seriously, I agree with what you said though. Once cards are no longer in production, the prices sometimes go higher because of that.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

You should! Be proud of what powered your PC gaming experience by all means! It becomes an open market where someone with last gens flagship sealed in-box can set any price. It's just weird that AMD still has their cards in-stock new. Maybe because 80% of people are on the Green Team. I am too, but I want to be a part of both. AMD CPUs suck (as of now, eh Zen?) but Radeon has been impressing.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah. I'm looking forward to see what Vega has to offer too. Unfortunately, I probably won't be getting Zen as my father is determined to only let me buy Intel (I showed him the Zen benchmarks from the livestream and he was amazed and thought they were faked. "They haven't made a good CPU in a decade!"). We'll see!

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

They might also shut the last gen series production down a few weeks before the nex gen's launch. So they can switch to making the new ones.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt this would happen if crossfire / sli didn't exist. It seems to me like there are a lot of people who build a rig, then decide to upgrade their system a few years down the road. Thinking they'll be able to get one for cheap, they decide to add a second graphics card to match the one they already own. Little do they know that the demand for those cards has gone through the roof with everyone wanting to upgrade, and there is no new supply.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

It's also the fact that people have been brain-washed (for the most part) that SLI/Crossfire give you "DOUBLE THE GAMING PERFORMANCE". That has never been true. Only certain games support the usage of SLI/Crossfire, mostly being AAA titles. Even then, they have never successfully used both cards to their full potential.

Now if you mean using them for normal computer processing power, yes two GPUs can be used to improve performance. Rendering and heavy editing/modeling will utilize the power of both cards. But the demand for this usage versus gaming is MUCH lower. The marketing industry has actually decreased availability of old product, which is what they want.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

For nVidia cards, its a matter of low stocks and when you remember that these cards are very often more than enough to play anything at 1080 or 1440p, its can still be a good pick for some builders. I agree the prices are a bit odd but those cards did cost money to make and that still cannot be sold at a loss I guess.

As for the AMD cards, theres other factors at play here. The newer RX 470/480 and such have drastically increased their power efficiency. The older generations of cards, while still powerful, can eat as much power as 2 or more of the newer ones so you need to invest in better case airflow and a beefier power supplies to support those cards. This can make it so that the newer ones are better options considering all the extra costs involved to support these older cards.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with your points here, and usually builders favor Nvidia because the public has been taught to trust only them. You did not mention however that NVIDIA has done a lot of power reduction too. The 980ti and the 1070 are about identical, and the 1070 has a 170W TDP while the 980ti has a 250W TDP. Of course I agree, the 150W TDP of the RX 480 is a LOT better than the R9 Fury's 275W TDP. I would just try the Fury because it has HBM memory. Vega will have HBM2 but who knows when that is coming lol. I think you have to find what suits you.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

It is true the 980ti uses more power but the high end models beat flatout most 1070s and they overclock much better than their 1070 counterparts for much better performance as well.

There is however no denying the efficiency of the new Pascal cards but I do question anycards other than the 1080 as all the cards we had were more than sufficient for any games/tasks one might have.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Nvidia has little to no influence over those prices at this stage. In fact Nvidia would rather stocks get depleted and people be forced to buy new cards still in production. It not uncommon to see Nvidia offer cash back to bussiness's and organisations to help them deplete stocks of older generations so going forward only the newer cards would be sold when new models come out.

At this stage as mentioned it really just opportunistic pricing, someone hoping someone will just grab it anyways lacking knowledge and so on.

If you look back in the past, there have been plenty of significant savings on GTX 980Ti's from most places also, similar with the GTX 970.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh of course. I was at the ready on my phone waiting for the 1070 to release to beef up my gaming PC. It was out of stock in one minute, so I gave up for the day just to realize the Golden Edition 980TI was on sale for $399.99 before a $20 rebate. You KNOW I grabbed that. I would gladly recommend a newer GPUs as NVIDIA & AMD offer very powerful cheaper & resource-friendly cards. $195 for a 1060 that has 970 performance? Hell yeah.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube