add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need active speaker suggestions

kmathieu2220

38 months ago

Hey there! I am getting an AT-LP120 soon and I am looking for some active speakers to go with it. The turntable already has a build in preamp hence why I only need the speakers. I don't need particularly loud speakers, just want really good ones in the $200-$300 range. Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

JBL LSR305 are in your budget. If you can splurge an extra $50 or find a great deal you can snag the LSR308s.

The 305/308 line is considered one of the best bang for buck monitor speakers out there. They give the Yamaha HS8's a run for their money at 1/3 their price.

There is a subwoofer that is made to pair with these called the LSR310S but it is $350 itself. These are high quality active studio monitors specifically made to not distort/boost music/sounds.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the detailed input! My main objective here is to find speaks that sound great simply for enjoyable music listening - I am not looking to edit or produce music. Do you think these speakers would be work will with a turntable to produce good sound quality that is dynamic enough to be enjoyable? or will it be too flat?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I have never listened to them without a dedicated woofer. But my buddy has LSR308s on a Teac turntable and it sounds outstanding.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, my understanding is that they records are already more dynamic so there is less of a need for the speakers to add equalizing and such, thanks for the input!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Two of these(they're sold individually) and one of these

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

@bigall @evil_paroxysm I should have mentioned that my intention is to use these to listen to records of metal and rock music, not for editing/producing - does that change your suggestions?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The JBL LSRs Evil mentioned are excellent. They are studio monitors so you're hearing music the way it was produced. Doesn't matter what kind of music you're listening to as long as the quality of the recording is good.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'm thinking they would be well paired with a turntable then because the sound would already be less compressed coming from vinyl, right?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Should be a good pairing

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube