add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it worth the risk?

supersimon2

37 months ago

I found a i5 6500 for $170 on craiglist. Told the guy I am 13 and on a budget, he lowered the price to $140. I can't test it at the buying site though, but he says he only is selling it because he got a i7 on black friday. Should I buy it? If i don't it's gonna be a i3 in my build.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 3 points

Standard practice on craigslist is often to ask more than any informed buyer would ever pay for a used product (near-new pricing is very common in asking prices). Obviously, everything is negotiable and $140 is a fair final price for a used i5-6500. I see nothing fishy.

I also don't immediately suspect fishiness regarding the price drop after informing the seller of your age. The tendency to be overly fair towards a "kid" is natural.

Seems like a lot of folks here have a less optimistic view of their fellow man. I've been buying and selling hardware on craigslist for years. Aside from one hard drive that died after a very short stint, everything else has been fine.

Bring an adult, ask to visit the seller at their place of residence (they should greet you from inside). This way you know "where they live."

Remember, as a 13 year old, you are actually a greater threat to the seller than the average adult if the seller were trying to "screw" someone. You're statistically much more likely to retaliate with various forms of minor vandalism than an adult. If the seller is willing to sell you this CPU from his own doorstep, he isn't likely trying to screw anyone.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, here is what he said "I purchased the i5-6500 on 11/17/2015, so I assume I’ve had it installed since probably around 11/23/2015. I had the 6500 installed just the other week, never had any issues, works great. I’m only selling because I got an i7-6700k on black Friday along with a new graphics card (I’m also selling an r9-290 tri-x). Unfortunately, the only way I can test the processor in front of you is for me take my i7 out and put the i5 in, that’s too much of a hassle. There’s really no need to worry, the processor works great, as long as you install everything correctly and use thermal paste, you won’t have any issues. As for the price, I respect the fact that you’re 13 and saving up money to build your own computer, that’s really cool, I didn’t build my own computer till I was 20 lol, so I’ll lower the price to $140. That’s the lowest I can go. My name is Chris btw, let me know anytime if you’re interested, take care."

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

The price is realistic. Get a guarantee from him in writing and a photo of his ID. If he agrees to that, then it's most likely a good deal

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

And bring an adult...

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The original asking price of $170 isn't so low that I would suspect that the original goal was to scam someone. The backstory sounds plausible too. Does he have pictures?

CPUs aren't a part that carries a high risk of being dead, FWIW.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't, unless he gave screenshots of the i5-6500 passing a 6-hour stress test.

It's very easy to get screwed on Craigslist. He doesn't seem desperate for the cash since he recently spent at least $250 on the i7. He can sell the i5 for a much higher price on ebay, and that's easy to do. He dropped his price significantly either because you mentioned not having a lot of money, or because he thinks he can easily screw over a 13-year-old.

I'd stick with the i3.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd just stick with the i3, besides used parts are always risky even if it works you wont be sure for how long and what condition it is in from overclocking,handling,etc

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Bring an adult and you will be fine. Sounds like a fair price.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube