• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Essex23 28 months ago

Ok, so this is about the only point of contention on any parts list I am working up for my next rig. Most of the games I play are older (WoW, Mass Effect 2 & 3, Diablo 3) with a few newer ones tossed in (Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, World of Warships)...and aside from Titanfall 2, Star Wars Battlefront, and the upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda, I don't really care much about other games on my horizon.

So, that said, with my upcoming Skylake build, would I be better served getting a GTX 1070, or is the XFX 480 GTR a wiser investment for my build?

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory NZXT Manta (White/Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case

And either: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Black Edition Video Card

-or-

Asus GeForce GTX 1070

Comments Sorted by:

A5PECT 1 Build 2 points 28 months ago

The GTX 1070 is significantly more powerful and significantly more expensive than the RX 480.

The RX 480 will run the games you've listed well at high graphical settings on a 1080p 60Hz display. If you're running at a higher resolution and/or refresh rate then you'll need the 1070 if you want to maintain those settings. But if you can afford it, you may as well get the 1070 even if you're on a 1080p 60Hz display; it'll give you a pretty thick layer of future-proofing.

P.S. If you're only using the computer for gaming, don't get a 6700K. Just get a 6600K and put the money saved into another part of the build.

Essex23 submitter 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

Yeah....its primarily a gaming rig. My current rig is such an outdated Frankenstein that was assembled when I thought I knew what I was doing (i didn't), that I want something that was really well planned and thought out.

Plus, it's going to be a themed build as well. So also a showpiece on top of things. :)

Thanks for the tip on the 6600 though.

Rofineli 1 point 28 months ago

If you have a normal 1920 X 1080 resolution monitor, go with the XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Black Edition.

Essex23 submitter 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

Yeah, right now I am using an older Samsung SynchMaster HD TV as a monitor since my LG 23" bit the dust a few years ago (and two weeks after warranty expired). My next monitor is going to be the ASUS Swift 34" widescreen monitor though.