• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Rofineli 28 months ago

So Polaris 12 IS a thing as AMD's Alex Deucher added support for it in their open source code repository. Apparently nothing fancy was added. Mean while nothing on Vega which should be launching soon...

So on the Linux side of things, there's no significant difference in software support between Pascal and Maxwell. It's looking like Vega will be the same way. And a 64 CU Polaris chip would benchmark about the same as that Vega demo.

Edit; another theory is that it is an OEM specific card based on Polaris 10/11.

Edit #2; it just occurred to me that this is probably a fully unlocked Polaris 11 and RX 465. RX 460s are 10% locked IIRC.

Comments Sorted by:

vlad007 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

I think it's a smaller chip to replace Oland and such.

[comment deleted]

This article has a benchmark leak and as they say : "Those results indicate very slow graphics processor."

http://videocardz.com/64787/amd-polaris-12-spotted-in-linux-patches

[comment deleted]

Well I don't think it's an APU or laptop GPU because the Ashes test says i7-5930K. If I could bet on this I would bet on a 512 CU chip

[comment deleted]
Moop1337 1 point 28 months ago

Edit #2; it just occurred to me that this is probably a fully unlocked Polaris 11 and RX 465. RX 460s are 10% locked IIRC.

The full-fat version is for the workstation cards, which tend to have lower clock speeds (so it can still have the 75W limit with the more execution units.)

[comment deleted]
Rofineli submitter 1 point 28 months ago

Locked and unlocked RX460 is still Polaris 11 same chip

True, it just seems like with Vega around the corner another Polaris chip is unnecessary. but I suppose AMD doesn't want to give the impression that Polaris is obsolete when they launch Vega.