• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

December454 28 months ago

Recently I posted a forum topic asking for advice concerning my video card choices, and since then, I have become interested in this listing of an OEM Radeon R7 250. It meets all of my criteria, mentioned in the previous thread, all while being cheaper and on paper having better performance than the Firepro V5800. However something does trouble me. Given that this is an OEM card, I cannot find much information on it. This comes into play because unlike a normal R7 250, this Dell OEM uses DDR3 memory Rather than GDDR5. I am not sure how serious of a hindrance this is, and I would like to know if you would still consider this a good purchase.

Please refer to my previous thread to see what exactly I am looking for and please feel free to leave your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you tremendously.

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 28 months ago

This comes into play because unlike a normal R7 250, this Dell OEM uses DDR3 memory Rather than GDDR5.

Iirc most of the R7 250's are DRR3, you have to dig a bit to find a GDDR5 one.

It really hurts the card performance, iirc its about a 25% difference between the two.

December454 submitter 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

Okay, well that's not good. Do you still think it is worth the $45, and how do you think the 2 gigs of DDR3 would compare to 1 gig of GDDR5 at 64gbs?

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 28 months ago

It is definitely not worth $45, you can get a DRR3 R4 240 for $10 after MiR. It should be ~$20 at most currently. Quantity won't make up for the lack of speed and you are going to be limited by the cards performance before the VRAM for the most part. For that much you could likely get a used GTX 750 Ti or R7 260X or some HD 78XX or HD 77XX varaint. Although I just forgot it has to be a single slot card so the best you could would be maybe a GT 740 or a GTX 750 if there is a single slot one.

December454 submitter 1 Build 1 point 28 months ago

Thank you for the suggestions. And I don't know, I guess dual slot would be okay if it wasn't too power hungry. I'll look into some of those.

Thanks again.

Also, do you think that Firepro V5800 is worth it, and is looking into workstation cards a good idea?