add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Audiophile who just ordered Astro A50's... Will they be enough?

Jackson_Tyler96
  • 39 months ago

I use Sennheiser HD 598's with a Blue Yeti but I have been wanting wireless capabilities and the blue yeti makes me have to use push to talk due to how sensitive it is to surrounding noises. Are the Astro A50's as good as I keep hearing? I got them for $160 on Amazon so I think they are a good deal.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

They seem in line with other wireless gaming headsets, if you're expecting similar quality to the 598 I would be doubtful.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's what I'm feeling too. I am receiving them today (thanks Amazon same day shipping) so I'll report back. I am not expecting audio quality to be on par with the 598's but I am buying these for the wireless ability and the ability to talk on the mic without having to use push to talk, which is a total pain in the ***. I will do my best to report back so anyone else who is curious can see some feedback.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

cool, I'm interested to see how they compare

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Ladies and Gentleman, The Astro A50's are vastly inferior to the Sennheiser HD 598's with a standalone mic. Not even close. I have mine ready to be refunded. I was honestly curious how the top of the line gaming headset compared to my beloved 598's (which are half the price, mind you) and it's just not even close. Save the $300 that these cans go for at retail price and pic up 598's and a blue yeti or modmic. I knew most gaming headphones were pretty **** but I was not expecting something this poor from a $300 pair of cans!

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for sharing. It's a shame how these gaming companies charge so much for their mediocre products.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Im gonna use the refund money for Fidelio X2's. Been wanting to snag those for awhile.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

A50s are just ok. They won't be as good as 598s, but some people like/need the wireless capabilities and I get that. From my experiences Astro headsets themselves aren't all that great (though very comfy), and they have very bad mics :/. The Astro mix amp is very good and it can take a pair of nice headphones and make them even better.

So far the best headset I have used in terms of comfort, audio quality and sound stage, and mic quality has been the Sennheiser Game Ones. I have yet to try it on an Astro mix amp as my little brother confiscated my A40s years ago for console gaming, but I have heard amazing things when paired together.

I don't know if you needed wireless or not but $160 for A50s is a great deal regardless. I'm not very familiar with wireless headsets ( I haven't owned any since the Turtle Beach X4's ~8 years ago) as I stick to wired but I wasn't disappointed in my buddies set of A50s side by side with my then A40 2nd gens.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube