add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel i7-3770 vs Intel i5-6500

GingerKid2k

37 months ago

Can get either used for £125 but which should I get and why

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

They are about the same. I would get the i7 for video/rendering work, but the i5 6500 for average use/gaming. You wouldn't benefit that much from the i7 in games, plus the i5 is newer.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll most likely be doing video/photo editing and using as a workstation with the only gaming likely being non demanding games like the sims so you'd recommend the older i7 apposed to newer i5

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with the i5 6500. Performance is similar however the i5 6500 is more efficient and alot newer

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The i7 3770 is likely to be more expensive as motherboards are harder to find and to find a good motherboard your gonna have to spend alot. I recommend the i5 6500 as you can get a better motherboard with the price.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

i5 newer

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Userbenchmark ranks them as basically identical with the advantage to the i7 in multi threaded apps but even considering that the i5 makes more sense to me. When the inevitable upgrade time comes the 6500's mobo will be able to take kaby/cannon lake cpus too, if you wanna upgrade from the 3770 that'll require a new mobo as well.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I would pick the Core i5-6500.

As others have pointed out, the socket 1155 boards are harder to come by. It's very difficult to find a used one at a good price. On ebay, it's quite common to see someone charging more for an 1155 board than what it was when it was new. On top of that, in a way you're limited to z77, h77, and possibly h71 boards. You can try the likes of a P67 or z68 board but if the BIOS hasn't been updated then the board won't boot-up with the 3770 in it.

As others have also pointed out, The biggest selling point behind a Socket 1151 board and the i5 6500 is Future expansion. In the future you would be able to upgrade to the Kaby Lake Core i7-7700 or the further-out 6-core Coffee Lake and 10nm Cannon Lake processors. Also, if you get a decent board you will have support for m.2 SSD. z170 boards are good if you think you'll use an M.2 ssd. You would be throwing the 1155 board out a lot sooner than you would with a 1151 board.

The Core i5-6500 is going to have better single core performance which would be better for gaming. Also, the faster memory speeds that go with the i5-6500 will help too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube