add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD Ryzen price hype is doomed to fail? A realistic price expectation analysis

Nourdon

37 months ago

Well, what do you think about the price rumours and expectation of amd ryzen that circulates on the internet? I find that a lot of people are setting themself for disappointment with unrealistically low price expectation, such as the $350 8c/16t that's shown to compete with the 6900K. It's like im seeing the rx 480 hype of GTX980/1070 performance for $200.

Here's my guess and the reason of amd ryzen price:

8c/16t : $500-700 There will be several chip with different clock that's priced here, the chip that's shown to compete with 6900K would be in the higher end of this spectrum. $300 or so price cut from intel seems to be high enough without going to ridiculous territory, besides amd "premium" product will also have some price premium.

6c/12t : $300-400 This chip will compete with both the i7 4c/8t and 6c/8t. It will compete with i7 4c/8t on core/thread count and performance while competing with the i7 6c/12t on cpu+mobo price, since intel's x99 platform is quite expensive.

4c/8t : $200-250 This chip will compete with i5 4c/4t, with amd chip with smt enabled having the advantage.

I'm not sure if amd will release a lower end cpu at launch so i would leave that out.

What do you think the price will be and why?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree with the prices you have proposed there.

Also bear in mind the Mobos will most likely be cheap compared to Intels due to PGA socket etc.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I personally would think there 4c / 8t risen will be around $150 - 200 to fight i3s as and isn't stupid and I doubt they would leave the budget market alone also I feel there will be a 4c 4t ryzen to fight Pentiums but that's just my thoughts on the matter as for 6c 12t, I feel around $300 would be a fair guess 8c 16t I would guess about $400 for the lower clocked out and about $500 for the higher clocked one to make intel lower their prices a lot and get an even greater market share

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally think the 4c/8t will be over $250. They have a 4c/4t on the way that I described in my own thread that you can check out that I will think will be the actual competitor to the i5's.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt it will be a lot, if any. The only performance loss you see when going from an i7 to an i5 when gaming is the lower clock speed.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That is very true. I just hope that it will have similar single core performance.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube