add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sound card or onboard audio

Sledgehamer
  • 38 months ago

Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

That is the old card I have was thinking of using it on my new build? Haven't had a pc since around 2005. What is everyone going with now days and are sound cards worth the hassle anymore got sennheiser he 595 headphones plan on using for gaming 75% of time and eventually a decent set of speakers eventually

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

on board audio has come a long way since the time that card was released. if you're a casual listener or simply gaming then onboard shouls suit you just fine.

the 595's don't need a powerful amp or anything to power them so you'll be fine

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

As you already have the card maybe run your PC with onboard sound for a few days then try the sound card and see if you notice the difference don't forget to let us know how it went.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

not a problem :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Sound cards aren't really worth it unless you're recording and monitoring instruments. Then you'd want an audio interface for it's I/O properties.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't use either. I've got my 1080 connected to a 7.2 atmos receiver. Though i haven't been able to utilize Atmos YET, I can do true 7.1 and its wonderful.

When it's quiet time I just run headphones from the receiver.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Holy crap, Atmos! you won the game

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah but so far nothing supports it. Just a feature

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Hopefully in a year...

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

As per articles at techreport even a (iirc!) ~$35 pair of 'phones can show the benefit a sound card brings so I'd prolly do what porkyville suggested and compare the card vs onboard once you're all set up and ready.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering its over a decade old the on board sound is likely to be better.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube