add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU shroud novice question

JonInWherever
  • 35 months ago

So, I've seen a lot of PSUs with shrouds, or cases with "false floors". While I get the appeal of covering up the cables at the bottom of the case, I'm a little confused about one thing... Some (most) PSUs come with a fan on the top. Certainly mine, a CX450M does. So does covering that fan up with a shroud reduce the efficiency, or make it more susceptible to overheating?

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

If your power supply is mounted with the fan drawing air in from the inside of the case it might overheat some. Usually, the psu is mounted upside-down with the fan drawing air from outside. Hope that helps :)

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

And that shows how much of a novice I am. I didn't even realise that my case had an intake at the bottom! I'll look at mounting the PSU the other way round, and that would make my design easier - no notch to cut out for the fan.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Your welcome :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube