add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

gpu and psu compatibility

thuynhs2k5

33 months ago

i have the gtx 970, it has an 8 pin and 6pin connection on it. but my psu only has one 8pin for it. do i need the other 6 pin from the psu to work?

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like you'll have to send it all back...

I kid! That was a joke.

You do need to have both hooked up for the card to work. What is your make and model of the PSU? Knowing that will help determine what your connection/adapter options are.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB psu: CORSAIR RM550X

i put my build on the "system build" and it says no compatibility issues. again, the psu only has one spot for pci-e and the gpu need 2 (8 pin and 6pin)

thank you for helping

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

Surprised your PSU didn't come with an 8+6 pin cable, but thats what you need. Uses 1 PSU slot and has and 8 and a 6 pin on the other side.

Interestingly enough someone had this exact same question on Toms Hardware last year, same GPU and PSU surprisingly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3029862/psu-compatible-gpu.html

Your answer is right here:

"The Corsair RM550x has a single PCI-E modular cable that has two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors daisy chained on it."

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

im sorry, i dont know what/how to daisy chain it. i looked around online and youtube but i still dont understand and i dont want my computer to blow up lol :/ can u please give me an example or tell me what i would need to do? thank you

what i think it means to do is connect the 8 pin to the gpu and psu. then plug the 6 pin into the gpu connecting to nothing?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

i finally got it, i didnt understand before because i didnt have the stock pci-e connection to look at, i had custom sleeved cables that didnt have the daisy chain. thank you for your helps

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah I see the confusion. Yea according to that post you have a cable that has a single connection into the psu and on the other end it has 2x 6+2 connectors (2x 8 pins)

Glad you got it sortes

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube