add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Really can't decide

Mikeash609

33 months ago

I want to be playing at 1440p but I'm in a budget. I've found a 1440p monitor with freesync that I'm considering buying for pretty cheap. This is making me sway towards an AMD GPU. My budget for a GPU is between £150 to £250 I could probably make it to £300 but I really don't want to go that high. I realise that I'm not going to get the best performing gpu for that price at 1440p. I have been considering an RX 480 8gb and then further down the line getting another one for crossfire if I really felt like it needed it. I have also considered a gtx 1060 and a gtx 1070 but I think the 1070 will be out of my budget. Are there any other GPUs at this price range that I should be considering for 1440p?

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can get your hands on an AMD Fury X, it is slightly below a 1070 but above an RX 480.

The drawback is its TDP is about twice that of an RX 480 but its a powerhouse.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Just typed it into google and the fury x price between £450-£550 so well above my budget lol

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Go second hand.

These cards are well worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVylh3YfiRg

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

It would appear that I stand corrected. To be honest I just typed it to google, went on shopping and looked at the first few and laughed. It looks like we have a winner then. Will this card get me 60fps on max settings on most AAA games?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

@1440p? yes, it'll do most games at or above 60fps with max settings. For more demanding or less optimized games you may have to dial back a few settings.

Usually going from ULTRA to HIGH on AA settings will be enough. At 1440p, AA becomes less needed to smooth out edges. you wont notice a difference in visual quality.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Just doing a bit of research and I'm seeing a lot of people saying they need a lot of power. On the box too it says 750w. I'm only using this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na does that mean I'm going to have to upgrade my psu too because if it does its going to be back out of my budget.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

You could get the evga low profile gtx 1070 which is $320 or you could get the asus strix 1060 OC to really overclock which could handle any game at 1440p on ultra (50-60fps) and later on you could 2-way sli. Or you could just wait on the price drops for a normal gtx 1070. GL HF!

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

The GTX 1070 is out of my price range I've tried looking for one but not found any below £300. Would the GTX 1060 be better than the RX 480 at 1440p? Even with using a freesync monitor? If I went with the GTX 1060 I wouldn't be able to afford a g sync monitor. I really can't decide. The RX 480 is the cheaper of the two which is also pulling me towards it but I'm worried it's not going to be powerful enough.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BipVR5-YM_Y the benchmarking is for the 1080ti but the RX480 is included and it will give you an idea about what you could expect benching starts at 13:00

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Alternatively you could go with a 1080p ultrawide like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CrvZxr/lg-29um68-p-290-60hz-monitor-29um68-p

It has the same number of horizontal pixels as 1440p, is 75hz, IPS, and freesync. Otherwise the 1070 is a bit out of your budget. The Rx 480 would get decent fps at 1440p if you turn some settings down on AAA games, however it isn't the best choice for 1440p.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Dual RX 480s are an option. I'd get blower style cards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube