• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ThatGoat 7 months ago

Just want to know how Gsync and Freesync work in noobie terms so I can explain it to this guy...

I have already read this article, but I want to know in your words what it is...

Comments Sorted by:

GentlemanShark 1 Build 1 point 7 months ago

It syncs your monitors refresh rate to the frames your GPU outputs to reduce screen tearing. Freesync is the free (Hence the name) AMD equivalent to G sync. Both are similar, but freesync typically has a higher latency.

GamerGuy014 1 point 7 months ago

Oh ok so like if I'm clocking 300 fps on a 144hz it will not let the fps go past 144. And if I'm clocking 80 fps it will put the refresh rate to 80?

Axeyy 2 Builds 1 point 7 months ago

It still will go past the 144hz. When you render lower to the screen hz it will sync it. Only way to stop it from going over is to cap it in game or run 3rd party program like EVGA Precision X, MSI Afterburner or something similar in nature. AND yes it will refresh at the render rate.....

johnsrudtf 1 point 7 months ago

So that means you can still get tearing from going over the refresh limit of your monitor? That doesn't seem right...

Axeyy 2 Builds 0 points 7 months ago

If your not running Gsync or Freesync, although an alternative that comes in games is V-sync but comes with an input lag.

ThatGoat submitter 1 point 7 months ago

comes with an input lag.

There is no real difference in the input lag.

It is mearely the means of which they match frames with refreshes. For instance, a 1/3 of a frame might stop writing, while another frame is being loaded by the GPU. This creates percieved input lag, but it's really the un-syncing of the fps to the Hz...

GentlemanShark 1 Build 1 point 7 months ago

Yes.

Axeyy 2 Builds 1 point 7 months ago

Gsync is by NVIDIA, Adaptive Sync or FreeSync is by AMD, you can only use that technology with its respective GPU cards. Although you can use the monitor with the different cards but you cant use the Gsync/FreeSync which will have to be disabled. The way it works is the monitor connects directly to the GPU in sync and will only re-fresh each time a frame is rendered. This will eliminate screen tearing. At 60hz is more noticable but at higher output displays with 120-144hz screen tearing is a lot harder to detect since a lot of frames are being rendered you wont notice it at all. Im running both a 144hz and 165hz Gsync display and the Gsync definately noticable that it runs smoother at lower frames.