add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

650 watt power supply with a 980 ti

supersimon2

32 months ago

I have a evga 650w BQ power supply. The 980ti requires 2 8pins, which my psu would normally have. I lost the modular 8 pin cable psu cable so I am stuck with the hard wired 8 pin + 6 pin. Would I be able to use the card safely with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-6-pin-8-pin-Express-Converter/dp/B00JLTCMFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490110923&sr=8-1&keywords=6+pin+to+8+pin

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-LP4PCIEX8ADP-6-Inch-Express-Adapter/dp/B006PHXLRG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490110993&sr=8-3&keywords=molex+to+8+pin

EDIT: EVGA is sending me a replacement cable. Good job evga :)

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Try https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

Looks like the BQ you have uses the same cables as the GQ which they have custom cables for. An individual Dual 8 pin pcie is $14 for that PSU. Basing this off visuals on the 2 models from EVGA's site.

I wouldn't get an adapter for something involving power, and on a part you really don't want to damage. A lot of electronics actually get damaged faster from being under powered than overpowered.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I will look into this :) Want to make sure I don't fry anything though with GQ cables.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I would confirm with EVGA that they work. They should given they are the same series and manufacturer just different rated power supplies. If you do ask EVGA directly you might as well see if they can send you a direct replacement instead.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I am in a chat with them now about them sending me cables.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

GQ and BQ dont share the same OEM.

The GQ is made by FSP, the BQ is made by HEC/Compucase.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

If it requires 2 x 8pins and you dont have it, it wont work. You will get power to it and the GPU fans will run, lights up and most likely a beeping sound from the mobo and a black screen on boot.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Even with the an adapter?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I strongly recommend just contacting EVGA support and asking them for replacement cables.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have the required adaptor then it will work.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube