add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which GTX 1060 is better?

narimasha

33 months ago

I've been switching back and forth between these two for WEEKS. I have no idea other than what the reviews are telling me.

GIGABYTE ooooorrr ASUS Do any of you have experience with these two video cards? If not, is there a better 6GB option out there for around the same price? (~$260)

Thanks! :)

edit: everyone says 480 i guess i go 480 :I

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 3 points

The RX 480 4gb.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Sticking with GTX. Thanks, though.

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

Why? The 480 performs the same in DX11, better in DX12, has more VRAM, Crossfire capability, and is cheaper.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

MAN IDK

I'm the most indecisive person and I've been back and forth between everything for months; 1060s have a lot more reviews, a lot of better reviews, and saving $40/$50 isn't really that much of a concern to me, considering I'm ready to drop $1200 on a computer.

It seems, from the reddit posts I've been reading, that there is a war between the supporters of the NVIDIA and AMD cards. I've seen more arguments in the past two weeks than I have in my entire life. I know the AMD has better performance on newer games, BUT I don't plan on playing that many newer games. Overwatch, Skyrim, Don't Starve, and Stardew Valley are basically it.

I see all these people recommending the 480s, but looking at the completed builds on here there are a lot more with the 1060s.

Sorry for blowing into a rant, I just can't find any friggin clarification on this :(

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

The thing is that reviewes dont tell the whole story.

nVidia has been aggressively at work for day 1 drivers with developpers where AMD is often stuck updating after the fact. This seems to give an edge to the 1060 but after 1-2 weeks, it falls short of the RX 480.

That being said, unless a title specially favors one or the other, theyre still relatively close to each other in performance. We used to be able to push the nVidia cards on ShadowPlay for those who wanted to stream without hassle but AMD also offers similar service now.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

True, but I don't have much else to go on.

Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it :)

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at an updated RX 480 review, as it has received major boosts from driver updates.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

This is literally exactly what I was going to comment based on the title alone Lol

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

My personal opinion between them 2 for GPU i go with Gigabyte, speaking of which ive got a 1060 and 1080 by Gigabyte right now =). But when it comes to Motherboards its Asus then Gigabyte and i have them both as well Asus in my main rig and Giga in the 2nd.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! :)

I did have an Asus motherboard in my favorites, I'll have to look into it a bit more ^

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Judge by pricing, which looks better to you and how there warranty and returns are... as in AUS, Gigabyte is good compared to others.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, thanks! :)

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Performance difference will be so minor as to be negligable, I would get either the cheapest or the one that goes with the look of the case/build better.

This is for "My Son"?

What monitor (model #) will it be used with?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

LOL yep, my son.

Aaaand still working on the monitor. AOC E2476VWM6 is the frontrunner right now.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll suggest a few changes if you don't mind...?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure! Go for it :)

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

:D

Cryorig c7 is a low profile cooler for space restricted cases, their m9 is a tower design that provides slightly better performance tho it's cheaper too :D

z series mobos can take faster ram which can give you an extra little performance boost in some games, price will likely be similar once you take shipping from outletpc into account.

Sandisk ssd plus has pretty poor performance relative to other options, mx300 will be about ~$30 more but it crushes the plus as per userbenchmark

650w is more than you need really, for a ~330w draw I would go 550w as that still provides ample extra watts for cpu/gpu overclocking and enough left over for good psu efficiency too, seasonic g series is a great option if you wanna save a few more bucks too

You only need 64bit windows, 32bit just restricts your ram to 4gig.

Be aware that the case comes with 2x exhaust fans which gives negative case pressure, you don't want that as it'll be sucking in dust through all the gaps and cracks. Move one fan to the front, and ideally add another there as well to give better airflow and positive case pressure to help keep the dust out (I didn't add the extra fan tho).

For the gpu/monitor situation... while some games run better on one than the other (WoW likes nvidia for example) they're basically equal if you average everything out but lately I've been siding with amd in this price range as you can then get a freesync monitor for a smoother gaming experience (nvidias gsync compatible monitors are usually way more expensive). Tho in your situation with a limited favoured section of games I would look around for reviews/yt vids and check relative performance before committing either way, I put freesync stuff in the build for the minute tho (white 8gig 480 to colour match with the case, there's cheaper options if you don't mind a different colour tho) :D

A few freesync monitor options -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $19.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $119.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $89.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.88 @ OutletPC
Case NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.49 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $92.99 @ B&H
Other DEEPCOOL RGB 350 Computer Lighting Kit LED Strip Multi Color and Patterns with Remote Controller $16.99 @ Newegg
Other ASUS Radeon RX 480 DUAL-RX480-O8G Video Cards $239.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1053.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 14:11 EDT-0400
  • 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, you really went above and beyond here.

Only reason I got the OS I had was some people suggested to get that version, blind trust amirite LOL

I did have a Freesync monitor in mind - the Asus bmiix. I really love the minimal bezel on it. Will the 75hz refresh rate change much from a 60hz?

This is seriously helpful, thank you so much for your time and information :))

[comment deleted]
  • 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally I like the EVGA SSC more. In terms of cooling and overclocking all 3 cards are very similar but EVGA has one of the best customer service of the industry. That's a big plus for me.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KqRFf7/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-ssc-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-6264-kr

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Customer service def helps. I had this one saved somewhere, but I guess I lost it :I

Thanks for bringing it back to me LOL. Def a frontrunner.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube