add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Confusion with GPUs & usage, help please

albertofel

33 months ago

I might go back to GeForce 1060. The only issue is GSync monitors are very expensive and out of my price range. I looked at the lowest price GSync monitor on PCPP and there's no way I am purchasing that now. This being said, I want your opinion if having a 1060 with an i7 and 16GB of RAM would warrant such a high quality monitor. My fear is after finishing my build, not having things be at their full potential or a wide gap between performance, in other words bottle necking..?

I have no doubt that I will absolutely enjoy my RX480 build and monitor, it's just what I initially had in mind. Also, let me know if I understand this correctly. SLI/Crossfire is so I can have more than one GPU which means I can have more than one monitor. If that is true, I will never need SLI/Crossfire because I have no need for it. Should I change anything in my build since I will not be having more than one GPU and utilizing SLI/Crossfire?

I have also been questioning the different brands of the same GPU. like MSI 1060 vs Asus 1060 or MSI RX480 vs XFX RX480. If there one that is superior or newer than the rest? What also confuses me is the series of the GPU. It can be the same video card but a different series and when I tried googling which is superior or newer I had no luck finding information.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 4 points

G-Sync is a nice addition (heck for me one of the best pieces of tech out at the moment) but you will still be the full power so to speak out of your GPU. Bottle necking is not a black and white term and in use your will always have one component which acts as an overall boundary to system performance. Said boundary shifts depending on the task, use case etc. Besides AMD have a somewhat similar tech in the form of FreeSync which for all intents and purposes does the same thing with AMD cards. Its also not overprices as G-Sync is so monitors with FreeSync are a fair bit cheaper.

Not correct in regards to SLI and Crossfire. You can run multiple monitors off of one GPU no issue. The purpose of SLI and Crossfire is for multiple GPU's to work together to be able to help draw the image and in turn increase the FPS. However it does not scale perfectly so, 2 cards does not mean you will get exactly double the FPS of one card, it varies considerably from game to game and some games do not even support them. The GTX 1060 does not support SLI however, only the GTX 1070 and up does.

Main difference between MSI 1060, ASUS 1060 etc is the cooler. The chips at the heart of the card are the same. Its mainly the cooler which in turn allows the cards to be factory overclocked which is the main difference.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the info. I decided to stay with the RX 480 and a FreeSync monitor. I'm going with the ASUS STROG RX 480 and this for a monitor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FZJkcf/acer-xf240h-240-144hz-monitor-umfx0aa001

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube