add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bottlenecking/upgrading my gpu...help!

papadave2359

32 months ago

Hi guys, I currently have this build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Lr6scf The processor is an AMD Athlon x4 860k and I am planning on upgrading my GPU (which is much much needed.) I plan to get the GTX 1050 Ti. I looked up how much bottlenecking there will be and it says 7% bottleneck.....now. I dont want to spend a lot of money upgrading my whole computer (processor and motherboard), I'm just looking to get the best out of what I have for the lowest amount of money. Should I be worried about a 7% bottleneck? What kind of cons are there to a 7% bottleneck....should I not buy the 1050 ti?

Thanks for your time everyone!

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

insert bottlenecking is not black and white copypasta here

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry I'm confused by what you're saying

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

A few users have a comment(s) that they copy paste to say that CPU and GPU bottlenecking isn't that simple.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Bottleneck doesnt work that way. You cannot get an exact value of whether or not it will happen as ti depends on the titles and your whole set up.

Also, even a bottleneck doesn't mean you wont achieve the performance you want either.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info! What would you recommend? Should I get a lesser gpu for upgrade?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

What games do you primarily play?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

For now, H1Z1 KOTK but I plan to play the new version of Skyrim soon.

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want to talk about "bottlenecks" which by the way, is a highly debated topic as there is no way to determine bottlenecks in general, only in specific situations.

With that being said, from what I've seen about H1Z1, it is very heavy on the CPU. I talked to a friend of mine who plays the game frequently and he said that he upgraded his GPU from a 750ti to a GTX 1060 and he didn't see any performance increase because his CPU (i5-2500) wasn't able to process the game any faster. He could have purchased a 1080 ti and if the CPU can't crunch the numbers faster, the frames per second will ultimately remain the same. With that being said, he recently upgraded to a 6600k and now his H1Z1 is running significantly better (still with the GTX 1060).

The purpose of that story was for you to better understand how "bottlenecks" work in terms of gaming performance. On the flip side, there are games that are almost completely GPU bound that you can have an i3 and a GTX 1080 ti against somebody running an i7 with the same 1080 ti and the frame rates will be the almost the same since it's the graphics card that is taking the beating. For example, in the game "The Division" I saw a benchmark that had the 6100 compared to the 6700k using a Titan X and the FPS difference was 3%.

TL;DR : Bottlenecks are hard to measure since CPU/GPU don't run synchronized or the same in different games.

To answer your question directly, you should buy the best video card your budget right now can support, or you can save up to buy and entirely new system. Pros and cons to each. Since you want to play H1Z1 and you have an entry level GPU, I would suggest going ahead and buying yourself a nice GPU and then upgrading the rest of the system when you can.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the incite! That really answers all the questions I have! All of this makes sense.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I honestly think you should get the best GPU you can afford right now.... Who's to say you won't decide to do your CPU and Mobo in a year or so.. and if you do, the GPU you buy now will still be awesome later! Depends on your situation and budget but also look at the RX 470?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now the plan is to just keep it very budget friendly, so the most I want to pay for my upgraded graphics card is $140 (but that's the maximum.) But I think what you say is very helpful and I'll probably plan on getting the gtx 1050 ti and maybe next year ill upgrade my Mobo and processor. The 470 doesn't seem worth it to me for the extra $20-30. Although you can't measure a unit for bottleneck, I think that using the site "thebottlenecker.com" is somewhat reliable on telling you how bad something might bottle neck. And if it only bottlenecks a little like 7% (although again, I know you can't really measure by a certain unit) I'll deal with it for now.

Any more tips based on the current information I gave you?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube