add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MLB, anyone? How do you watch your team if the game is blacked out in you region?

Jeff_M

32 months ago

With the season openers coming up, I'm looking for solutions to watch my team, the Orioles. I live in NC but I'm still subject to blackouts, and my cable provider does not have MASN or MASN2 in the lineup, apparently some sort of legal dispute is the reason they don't carry the MASN networks. Anyone have ideas on how I may still be able to watch games live? Not sure about MLB TV since it's quite expensive just to watch one team, but would my VPN circumvent the regional blackouts on that service?

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

I just can not understand how blackouts are still a thing these days. I also don't understand why sports organizations still charge and arm and a leg for their content. I am not a huge MLB fan and the reason is primarily the difficulty of finding content (living in Indiana). In a world with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, PS Vue, and all of that you would think NFL, NBA, MLB, ASPCA, and the like would have caught on and ditched cable companies by now.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

All about money.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I am sure it is. Cable is a cancer leaching on people's pockets. One day it will die and the world will be a better place.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

It is ridiculous. Hopefully enough people will continue cutting cable and move to streaming services, over time I hope that will pressure the cable companies and sports organizations to make changes. YouTube TV looks like it's going to be taking a step towards that, there's a decent selection of major sports networks in their lineup. Of course it's still missing the smaller regional sports networks like MASN, but it's a start.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

MLB.tv

And that's free for T-Mobile subscribers if you happen to be a customer....

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

The thing about MLB TV is I'm in a blackout area for my team, so I wouldn't be able to watch the Orioles even if I paid for a subscription (which is utterly stupid, IMO). Has anyone had success using a VPN to get around MLB TV? I know some streaming services have found ways to keep that from working.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Didn't know they honored blackouts...

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 32 months ago
  • 2 points

I know there are sketchy streaming sites out there, but surely youtube and twitch streamers can't legally rebroadcast games, can they?

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

No, they can't.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's what I figured, they always play that disclaimer before a game.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought tsn or whoever would live stream their games over Yt. Guess I'm wrong

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, they wouldn't make money doing it. The specific network I need is MASN/MASN2, as far as I can tell the only way to watch that network is to have it as part of your cable package.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn thats stupid

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Any rebroadcast, retransmission, or account of this game, without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, is prohibited.

No although PCPP or SWAT won't be raiding your house if you do.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube