add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Let's chat about racism and sexual remarks

philip

31 months ago

Recently I've noticed an uptick in comments containing racial slurs, racist remarks, sexual remarks or innuendo. Let me be clear: comments of that nature are not acceptable here. At the least, users who engage in that will get a warning. In many cases, it will result in a ban.

If you feel the need to harass someone or make derogatory remarks about their race, or if you feel the need to make derogatory remarks about any race, leave now. I will not tolerate racism on this site.

If you feel the need to make sexual remarks about another user or a user's build, leave now. That includes comments such as a build causing sexual arousal. It's not just inappropriate for this site - it's juvenile. I will not tolerate it on this site.

Some comments of this nature have slipped past previously. We have two staff dedicated to moderation, handling content generated from over a million user accounts. It is difficult to catch everything, but I would like to. In light of the recent trends, I'll be building out more automated means to identify these types of comments. Reporting comments of this nature also helps us significantly.

Everyone is welcome here, regardless of their gender or race.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 9 points

Thank you very much for keeping on top of this sort of thing Philip.

One of the reasons I participate in this site is that its largely free of the sort of casual misogynous/racist nonsense I have seen on other forums.

You and your staff do a very good job picking the bad eggs out of the avalanche if I can mix metaphors here.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

bad snowflakes out of the avalanche? bad eggs out of the carton? idk

• 31 months ago
  • 6 points

Can't say that I've seen any racist comments on this site (but I'm sure they are there), but I have seen the sexual ones.

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

Same here Mike, and I'll respect on what Phillip is trying to tone down on the site. The last thing we want is... a lot of disrespect and things going out of hand with the comments (even jokes).

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh my, I have already seen far worse comments on Youtube...

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

YouTube comments can be cancerous IMO, people will aimlessly harshly attack each other and troll, so I admire the work phillip and the staff do to keep this site clean

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Indeed. I'm glad PCPP staff do their best to maintain their rules for good reasons.

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 6 points

My favorite thing about this thread is that the entire bottom half is dominated by:

Someone must have been very upset by this policy.

• 31 months ago
  • 5 points

I'm glad that PCPP's forums won't collapse like some others have. PCPP has built a strong community, and it looks like it will stay. Comments and / or users that degrade race don't belong here, and it's just an asshat move to make a comment like that just because you can, being anonymous and all. I'm glad that it appears to be a less common type of comment (haven't seen any of that nature yet), and it's good to know that it can (and will) be dealt with.

Thank you for doing this.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree - This is pretty rare, seeing such a great community, with only a few hiccups.

• 31 months ago
  • 4 points

Not saying that I disagree with your decisions, I definitely do agree, but I can see why someone could think that sexual jokes are ok since while they are immature they usually don't target anyone but who honestly thinks racism is ok. Like how stupid do you have to be to think that its going to end up in your favor, this isn't the KKK or anything. Like have you even browsed here? If you did you should notice the staff is quite active. It just boogles my mind how stupid and uncivilized some people are.

• 31 months ago
  • 10 points

Anonymity is powerful.. 99% of the people who are vulgar, racist, and just plan jerks on the internet will come off as normal or even kind in the real world. This can also be a good thing though like when we (Air Force) do anonymous surveys.. They are incredibly more effective when the people can answer truthfully without fear of reprisal/backlash. As soon as you hold somebody accountable for what they say/do, they are 100 times more likely to do the right thing.. Integrity is a very rare trait among humans.

As an example, I've seen more pure hate in 5 minutes of browsing YouTube comments than I have in person in my entire 28 year life. Why? Because you can't get your *** beat in YouTube comments..

• 31 months ago
  • 7 points

Integrity is a very rare trait among humans.

True. But as much as humanity never ceases to amaze me with how awful they can be, I am also somewhat equally constantly amazed by the good we do. Often just for the reason of being good.

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree... But. Man... You might want to get your mind checked out if it boogles. That doesn't sound normal. :D (Buh-Dum-Tssss)

• 31 months ago
  • 4 points

I think this should be by common sense.

Theres a fine line between harassment and a joke but many might not perceive it as intended.

I guess it is best for nothing to be said of this nature to keep it clean and simple for everyone.

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

Good, ban em, no warnings. Keep it pro.

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

Excellent. I am always amazed by some people's sense of entitlement when it comes to inflicting others with their ignorance and bigotry. Good on you, Phillip, for speaking about what matters, and keeping this forum respectable. A lot of bigots have crept out of their closets in recent years and it seems the 'internets' is their safe haven, I am glad that they won't have their way on this site as they do on so many others - bravo!

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

I haven't seen any lately but if I do, I'll be sure to report them.

• 30 months ago
  • 3 points

And yet ANOTHER reason I keep coming back to this site time and time again. This has been one of the last bastions for quality forums. A great community built from a great staff who care about the content on their site.

Please, keep up the amazing work.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you man- i honestly appreciate this. Those were getting real old and really werent funny in the first place.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Good policy. This is one of the nicer forums I frequent, and I'd like it to continue being so.

I didn't know the moderation staff here is so lean, I'll be more conscious of the report function from now on.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you for clearing this up. (I didn't request it or anything, I was just slightly curious, having seen a few comments around some builds, namely the sexual remarks about builds.) It's nice to see that you take good care of your community! <3

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 30 months ago
  • 2 points

What if... there was an anime themed build and the comments had a discussion on their 'best waifu'?

Does that fall under "sexual remarks or innuendo"?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I see what you mean but try to keep them fully clothed. Personaly i wouldn't include a bikini to avoid getting banned. It kinda hurts to give that suggestion :(

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, phillip.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

damn

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

'nuff said.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

This comment was deleted and the user was banned for this post.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 to intelligence and human decency to all on this thread

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

This site is a place where we talk about electronics, not your opinion on a select group of people.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

We talk about many things here, not just PC parts or electronics.

• 31 months ago
  • 0 points

I respect these guidelines. I use the "assuming genders" thing as a joke.

Twas popular among social media

• 31 months ago
  • 0 points

Ah, but "Assuming Genders" isn't always taken as a joke. It honestly scares me how people on social media can take anything as an insult, but feel like they can insult anyone in any way they choose.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

What about 52 genders? What keeps that from exactly being a joke?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

The fact that there are many people to believe that 52 genders do exist. (I'm stating a fact, not my opinion.)

• 30 months ago
  • -1 points

Sadly lol

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey, I live under a rock and I don't take it as an insult!

(This is relevant if you saw my reply to the discussion about Jipster.)

But honestly, I'm very afraid for future. I have seen kids in my school get into fights over who gets to play with the fidget spinner first.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

OH MY LORD 0_0 What has humanity become ._.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't forget about the good people. There will always be good people. Contrary to popular belief, there are people everywhere that would be more than happy to help a stranger out. Don't lose hope.

But for now, for my school, yeah, we're screwed lol

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Comments like this are not appropriate for this site.

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, and he then deleted his account

• 31 months ago
  • 8 points

You've made a few of the comments I addressed above. If this is how you want to address these guidelines, then that speaks volumes.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube